"I, like Lily, wrote this speech several times. The only difference is that everybody knew Lily would be made Head Girl in first year, and I," I can't help the laughs that escapes remembering the badge that arrived with my letter several months ago. "Well, nobody would have guessed that I would have been made Head Boy. Honestly, I'm still in a little disbelief." The crowd laughs.

     "But I decided that I wanted to talk about choices. You see life is made up of this string of choices, one leading to the next. It's crazy to look back and think about all the choices you didn't make, and how one small decision could change the entire outcome of your life. I chose to befriend an annoying git named Sirius Black on my first train ride to Hogwarts."

     "Worst decision ever!" Remus yells. Sirius reaches over to give him a hearty punch. "Ow!" My eyes shift to Lily, her lips pressed in a firm line fighting her giggles.

     A laugh escapes my lips. "Okay you prick, I was going to mention you, but now I'm not, I'm choosing right now not to mention Remus John Lupin in my speech. Anyway, I chose to help out a boy named Peter Pettigrew on our first day trying to find potions. I chose to love a girl named, Lily Evans, with everything I have. I even chose to be in Gryffindor. The hat saw a lot of things in my head that day. It saw that I was cunning enough to be in Slytherin, clever enough to be in Ravenclaw, and loyal enough to be in Hufflepuff, but I asked to be in Gryffindor. I wanted to be in Gryffindor because that's what house my parents were in. And it was the best decision I ever made.

     "I, like Lily, look back on this year and see all of the choices I made. Some good," my eyes automatically land on Lily, and I can't help but smile. "Some not," my eyes land on Jenna Lauding a few rows back. "We all make choices, everyday of our lives. I want to look back and say I made choices that made me a better person. Thank you."

     I step down quickly, the applause a roaring in my ears. I can still fill the anxiousness coursing through my veins as I take my seat next to Lily. "How'd I do?" I whisper.

     "Perfect," she answers with a proud smile.

     Dumbledore takes his place back on the stage. "And now, Hogwarts class of 1978, you are dismissed."

     There is clapping and whoops of excitement as we all stand. An odd feeling has settled within me. How can it all be over? Just like that I'm done. Just like that I'm expected to leave Hogwarts. My home. 

     A pair of arms wrap themselves around Lily and myself. "Oh, you two spoke beautifully! I cried!" Mum proclaims through her tears.

     She releases us and crushes Sirius in her arms. "Nice job, son," dad grins as he slaps his hand against my back.

     "And, Lily," he turns. "Your speech was beautiful."

     She beams up at him. "Thank you, Mr. Potter."

     "What about my speech?" I demand in mock hurt.

     "Eh," he answers with a sly smile and a mere shrug. 

     As we make our way towards the lake, mum fusses over my tie. "Now, you have one last train ride," she says. "It feels silly saying goodbye, when we'll be picking you up in a few hours at King Cross."

     "They go back the way they came," Mr. Potter says with a sense of nostalgia. "It's tradition." He points to the enchanted boats by the lake. 

      "We'll see you soon," I peck mum on the cheek.

      Marlene pulls Lily towards the boats excitedly. "These used to be bigger!" Sirius declares, wobbling dangerously while standing in one of the boats.

     Marlene leans forward, as if she is about to kiss him, and gives him a good shove. Sirius Black has a split second to look shocked before he crashes through the water. We're all too shocked to laugh. That is until Sirius breaks the surface spitting out a fountain of water.

     Peter howls with laughter, and I have to take a seat on the grass to keep from falling over. My stomach cramps as the laughter becomes too much, and I am seeing the world through blurry, laughter tears.

     "Okay, McKinnon," Sirius taunts. "That's how you want to play?" 

     Sirius lunges for Marlene tackling her to the ground. "BLACK!" He grabs her, throws her over his shoulder, and returns the favor of throwing her in the lake.

     Remus clutches his side in laughter. "You know, Moony, you could use a dip," says Sirius dangerously. Remus stops laughing.

     "No," he replies coldly. "Don't even think about it." I get back to my feet, cautiously watching the events unfold.

     "BLACK! MCKINNON! GET IN THE BOATS NOW! YOU JUST GRADUATED! ACT LIKE IT!" McGonagall's roar seems to still scare her now previous students.

     "Get me in the boat, get me in the boat," Sirius says frantically, making Remus pull him into the boat beside him.

      Lily's long, red hair ruffles behind her as breeze blows past. She smiles at our friends, but I can see the sadness in her eyes, in her movements, in the way she's holding herself so carefully. I walk cautiously to her side.

     "You, okay?" I ask. "You look sad." She turns to look at me.

     "It's a happy day, but it's also a sad one. My parents weren't here, and we're leaving. Just mixed emotions I guess." She shrugs as if it's no big deal.

     "I'm sorry, Lils," I whisper, pressing a kiss to her temple because there is nothing else that I can do to help her.

     "It's okay, nothing you can do," she says, voicing my thoughts.

     "Well..." I say, thinking of a child's solution to this situation. I stick my tongue out and cross my eyes and tug on my ears, I make every ridiculous and obnoxious face that I can think of until I can get her to laugh, and she finally does. 

     "There's my girl."

     I offer my hand to help her into the boat and follow quickly after her. We take our seats, and she grabs my hand tightly as the boats begin to move forward. Marlene sits on her other side, and they both turn to look at the castle we are leaving behind. I look at my three best mates bickering in the row in front of us and smile. 

    I can't help but glance over my shoulder to see the home I am leaving behind. My throat grows dry, and my eyes become damp. I'm not ready to leave, but it was time to move on and join the real world. Ready or not, right?

a/n*

Told y'all I would get some writing done. The epilogue will come in the next few days hopefully. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It made me a little sad to write it, but I am so excited to finish this book and to write my next one. I hope you all stick with me.

I hope everyone is having a great break. Y'all are the bomb!! Keep reading and voting and commenting