A loud cracking noise sounds as the werewolf heaves himself through the door. Sirius and I stand still as the growling persists. Remus runs his muzzle over our fur, and I can't seem to slow my heartbeat. A small whine sounds from his lips as he backs away with his head bowed. 

     Peter scurries into the room and makes his way up Sirius' leg and perches on his neck, gripping the fur for support. Remus backs away some more and finally turns leaving the room through the hole in the middle of the door. 

      We follow quickly, but he seems extra fast tonight. He tears the soil of the grounds as he makes his way towards the castle. An ominous felling swirls in my gut- something is off tonight. He flattens shrubs in his path, tearing around the trees of the dark forest. Suddenly, Remus stops and leans back on his haunches and releases a viscous howl into the night. 

     He seems very aggressive tonight. It is April, I remind myself. Towards the end of every school year, this happens. Stress levels seem to affect his transformation; it seems to make it worse. Tomorrow is going to be bad when he recovers.

     The strangest sound pulls me from my thoughts. It sounds like people talking- like girls talking. My blood becomes ice in my veins. Who the hell is out here at this time of night? I glance over at Sirius, and by the look on his face, he can hear it too.

     Remus bursts through the trees, full speed. "MARLENE! RUN!"

     Oh no, no, no. Not again. Sirius and I follow quickly to see our friend running from Remus, tearing her way across the grounds of Hogwarts toward the Black Lake. The wolf stops though distracted by the other person out her- Lily. My stomach heaves, and I will myself to run faster.

     "R-R-Remus," she stutters, backing away slowly, arm outstretched. "Remus, it's me." Her green eyes shine with tears as she stares at one of her best friends, waiting for him to kill her.

     NO. I put my head down, allowing my antlers to act as a weapon, and collide with Remus, throwing him several feet away. I turn to Lily, silently screaming at her to run the hell away from here. I her my head towards the castle before running back towards a howling Remus. 

     "MAR! GO!" Sirius screams in his human form, pushing her towards Lily. Her eyes are wide in shock. "Lily! Take her!" 

     Lily quickly runs to Marlene's side, gripping each of her forearms and giving a sharp shake. Sirius' body warps and shudders until a large, black dog stands in his place. Marlene lets out a garbled sound of fear, as lily continues to tug on her arms. The werewolf stalks towards them, a viscous growl rumbling in his chest.

     I charge towards him again, panic rising in my chest, suffocating me. I dip my head to do what I did last time, but this time he sees me coming. He turns and grabs an antler, throwing me to the side like a rag doll. My body collides with something hard and firm, and I fall to the chilly, April grass.

     My left side aches in pain. I let out a groan, and I can't tell if I'm human or stag. I open my eyes and all I can see are stars; I take a deep breath, and my ribs scream in protest. Oh god. I can't breathe. Pain begins to trickle into my veins.

     "JAMES!" Someone screams, but it sounds as if it is coming from underwater. I need to get out of here. I'm vulnerable just lying here. Lily has to get out of here. Marlene has to get out of here. We have to leave right now, but everything is spinning and everything hurts.

     "James?" Someone mutters through tears. I open my mouth, but all I can manage is a moan.

     "James, where is the cloak? Where is your cloak?"