18. Thanksgiving (pt2)

Holden stood up as Charlie fell forward on the table. Her face was red, her lips were turning blue from lack of oxygen.

"911, call 911." He panicked, forcing the words out of his mouth.

"Oh my god, Charlie, oh my god." She said over and over again as she pulled out her cell phone to call for an ambulance.

Holden got up and picked Charlie up to hold her in his arms up so that her head was picked up. He could hear the small sounds of her suffocating. It shattered his heart with every breath she tried to take.

By now tears were running down his face as he held her close. He didn't pay attention to anything other than Charlie as he whispered words to her in her ear. It was only about thirty minutes ago when they were both in the bathroom doing his hair. It hasn't even been fifteen minutes since they took pictures. Today was going downhill and Holden didn't know why this was happening to Charlie. Why did she get the short end of the deal in her life. Why did it have to be Charlie.

"I love you, I love you, please." Holden felt so hopeless as he held Charlie to his chest on the floor.

He didn't realize that he was blocking out everything else until he was forced away from her. His heart was aching in his chest as panic and fear rushed through his body. Fear. That was the last look in Charlie's eyes before she lost consciousness. She didn't want this. She didn't want to die.

"Son, let go so they can take her to the hospital." His dad said softly, placing gentle hands on Holden's shoulders.

He watched as the paramedics took Charlie away on a stretcher. The further she went the more his heart broke into a million pieces. She was his heart. She was his soul.

He and his parents followed behind the ambulance in their car on the way to the hospital. It was surreal, it was something that Holden didn't think he would ever have to do. He hadn't been in a hospital since he fractured a rib when he was six.

He followed them in a rush as they rushed Charlie through the double doors.

"Sir, you have to wait in the waiting room. A doctor will tell you the news when everything's situated"

"No!" Holden screamed. "No! That's my girlfriend! That's my girlfriend!" He yelled, his voice cracking with his sobs. A security guard came and grabbed Holden by his shoulders, carrying him out of where he wasn't supposed to be.

"No!" He screamed again, struggling against the shorter latino security guard.

"Everything will be okay." The security guard said as he sat Holden down in the waiting room.

"How do you know?" He whispered, sobs racking through him. The security guard didn't say anything else but he left after a short moment. Holden didn't care to quiet his sobs as he sat in the ER waiting room. He felt his mom sit next to him and bring him into her side. She held him close to her chest which caused him to sob harder.

He didn't know when he stopped crying, it must have been when he cried himself to sleep after her grams got here. He woke up feeling numb and he didn't do anything but stare at the double doors waiting for the doctor to come through. He was anxious, worried, scared, numb. He was hurting. His heart didn't feel whole.

Eventually the doctor came out looking sullen. Immediately Holden's heart dropped.

"For Charlie Beckett?" He said. It was like ring in Holden's ears. He didn't want to stand up. He didn't want to listen to the doctors bad news. He could feel it. He knew it was bad news. Unless he looked depressed before saying 'sych! She's asking for you!" which didn't seem likely.

His parents helped the hurting boy up and they walked towards the doctor. Grams was already sobbing though.

They were silent for a long minute before the doctor spoke up.

"I'm sorry. We did all we could do." He said, his voice grave. "She had aphonia that caused her to be mute. It caused damage to the nerves and muscles in the throat. The nerve damage can be caused by a growing tumor. She had a tumor in her throat that grew too big. It cut off her airway." He explained. Holden fell to his knees sobbing. He brought his head down to his knees sobbing.

"I'm sorry we couldn't save Charlie." He said. Holden let out a sob before looking up at the doctor.

"You, you couldn't?" His voice cracked along with his heart.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Everyone was crying before but now everyone was sobbing along with Holden. He screamed into his hands.

Charlie was gone.

Gone. And it hurt like hell.

He couldn't believe it.

Gone.  

*

*

Question: How much do you hate me?

Also, don't be a prick, wrap your dick. Safe sex, y'all.