8. Dinner

Amazing artwork done by an amazing friend. @ dalila_jamak on instagram!
««»»

Charlie looked in the mirror, debating on if she could wear something less casual. What if this was a formal dinner? She was wearing her short black shorts and a flowy aqua blue tank top that matched her eyes with her black sandals. She dressed for the warm weather. Even though it was late, it was still summer. Even with autumn fast approaching it was still warm outside. Her mousy brown hair had been tied up in a tight ponytail. She was comfortable and that should be all that matters. She'll ask Holden when he arrives.

Slightly self-conscious, she left her room and seen her Grams sitting on the couch. She had a bowl of popcorn sitting on her lap while she gazed intently at the TV with her legs resting on the coffee table. Charlie sat down next to Grams and rested her head on the back of the couch. Grams looked over at her and reached over, grabbing her shoulders, bringing in Charlie to her side.

"What's up darling? Don't you have that dinner with the Hartel's?" Charlie nodded against Grams shoulder and relaxed her body as she sighed. "Don't worry hon, he'll be here soon." She rubbed Charlie's arm and gave her attention back to the TV show that Charlie didn't care much about. The anxious girl glanced at the clock and sighed. He said he would be here twenty minutes ago. Did he forget?

As Charlie was going to get up to go back to her room the doorbell rang. She stilled and looked at Grams with wide eyes. Grams looked at her and gave her a gentle smile, "what are you waiting for? Open it!"

Charlie almost ran to the door but froze. She took a couple of deep breaths before she put a smile on her face and opened the door. Holden was standing there wearing a pair of black shorts that went to his knees and a dark blue muscle shirt. His hands were hidden behind his back but he brought them forwards to show a bundle of red roses. He held them out, his grin growing wider.

"Hi, sorry I'm late. I couldn't decide on what types of flowers you like or if you liked them or the color... I hope they're fine. Sorry, again." He rambled. Charlie smiled up at him and grabbed the flowers. Grams already went into action and showed up with a vase full of water, taking them from Charlie.

"I got it, you two go have fun." Grams shoved Charlie into Holden's chest and closed the door. Holden wrapped his arms around Charlie to catch her. He moved her to his side, moving his arm to rest across her shoulders.

'Thank you for the flowers.' Charlie signed before she remembered he couldn't understand. Her cheeks burned with a mixture of embarrassment and the warm night air.

"I'm assuming you said thank you. You arm most certainly welcome. A beautiful girl deserves beautiful flowers." He said, looking at her softly. She looked down at the ground as he led her to his mom's car that she drove her home in a few weeks ago. It has almost been a month since she met the Hartel's. Though it didn't seem that short, she felt as though she's known them for a while. But with a month passing also meant a month since her parents death. Charlie quickly grew accustomed to this life so she pushed it to the back of her mind. It almost felt as though she was visiting her Grams on a break instead of living here. She was choosing to forget so she didn't have to deal with the pain. But the void in her chest was getting filled.

Holden opened the passenger for Charlie and closed it when she sat inside. She buckled her seatbelt as he moved around to the other side to climb in. The car started and he made a u-turn and drove towards his house. It wasn't that far but I could understand why he'd drive instead of walk; to avoid the heat. The cold air coming through the vents felt like heaven against Charlie's skin. The car ride, though short, was silent. Holden opened his mouth to say something a couple times but closed it after.