17. Thanksgiving (pt1)

Thanksgiving had arrived. Charlie was a nervous wreck. Her mom and dad didn't celebrate thanksgiving like normal people. They did a tradition that her parents had started when she were broke newlyweds. They've always only made stuffing after they went to the pumpkin patch to get the biggest pumpkin. They would bake the insides and munch on them for the rest of the day. Normally the small family of three would watch a cheesy Christmas movie that was on too early. The stupider the better.

So to have a real thanksgiving dinner was something that Charlie hadn't thought about since she agreed to go to Holden's house. Was it a casual thing or did people normally dress up? The confused girl grabbed her phone from her nightstand and typed her question to Holden. It took him around several agonizing minutes to reply.

"Casual comfortable. I'm wearing sweats." He had responded causing her to roll her eyes. She didn't want to over dress and it was cold outside so she definitely wasn't wearing a dress. She grabbed a pair light light washed blue jeans. She put on a white long sleeve over her white tank top and put a tan loose knitted sweater than hung down to her mid thigh. It was comfortable. It wasn't as cold here in California as it was in Washington but she didn't like any type of cold weather.

Out of nowhere, Charlie got winded causing her to stagger. She sat on the floor and put her head between her knees. Not today. Today wouldn't be the day. She struggled to bring air in her lungs but after a few minutes she was able to bring in a little more air.

Charlie stood up and sauntered over to her dresser to get a pair of long socks so she could wear her tan heeled boots what she never got the chance to wear.

She slipped her phone into her back pocket and left her room. She didn't bother to do anything special with her hair, it was in a high ponytail and that was enough for her. She wasn't having her best day but she was determined to get through it.

Her grams was driving her over to the Hartel's. She was supposed to stay for dinner too but she had work related problems to solve. She tried but she couldn't find the time to be free from her work. It upset Charlie what her first thanksgiving with her grams wouldn't be spent with her. But knowing that it was going to be with Holden and his family made up for it. They were her family. There was no differentiation, it was them and her. Family.

After grams dropped Charlie off at the Hartel's she left, barely having any time to tell her bye. Charlie, being comfortable at this home didn't bother to knock as she silently strolled in.

"Charlie?" Ruth called out but knew that she wouldn't be able to answer her. She took off her shoes by the door and slid forward on her socks.

"Well if it isn't Ms. Magic!" Tony boomed throughout the house. Charlie's cheeks burned as he rushed forward. "Gotta get my hug in before my son steals you away." He joked. Charlie hugged him back as Holden came in the room looking flushed.

"Charlie!" He said breathless, a smile playing on his lips. His curly waves were cut again like they were for his first date. He had attempted to comb is hair to the side but he had the comb stuck in his hair. "Do, uh, do you mind helping me out for a moment?" He stuttered.

"If you know what he means." Tony joked, nudging Charlie forward with a wink. She heard Ruth's pretend scolding as she followed Holden into the bathroom. There were hair products lined on the counter along with different types of brushes.

'Wash your hair out.' She signed, a small grin slipping on her face at the sight of the stuck comb in his gell dried hair.

"Wash.. Hair. Wash my hair?" He asked. She nodded and he immediately stripped out of his clothes right in front of her. Her cheeks flushed causing him to chuckle.

"Well, you did say to wash my hair. Care to join me?" He questioned, nodding towards the shower. She shook her head and sat on the the counter cross legged to wait for him.

The smell of his shower gels were strong as he washed his hair, the room was fogging up due to the hot water. When he was finished he stepped out. He didn't bother to put a towel around his waist instead he draped it over the toilet seat and sat down. Charlie rolled her eyes and hopped off of the counter with a small hand towel in her hands.

Once she stood in front of him he grabbed her by her waist and pulled her forward, getting her sweater wet. She didn't try to push him off as he placed his chin on her abdomen, looking up at her. She ran the small towel through his hair lightly, tugging a little bit causing him to let out a throaty moan. As soon as his hair was dry she ran her bare hand through his hair. He moaned again and she smirked. She grabbed the comb from the counter and brushed through his mop of hair that stuck to his head.

She used a little bit of gel to get his hair in place. His eyes were closed as she fixed his hair. Charlie parted it at the right place and when she was finished she tried to pull herself away from him but he held on tighter.

A knock at the door startled them both. She realized that he hadsn't locked the door.

"Yeah?" Holden called, his deep voiced wavering.

"Dinner's ready, pictures first." Ruth called before the sounds of her footsteps faded away. As Charlie was released from Holden's grip she staggered, she felt like her throat was closing up. She sucked in a couple breaths and made sure that Holden didn't notice as he dressed in a pair of jeans and a black muscle shirt. Pictures? She glanced at Holden who shrugged.

"Pictures before dinner are a mom thing." He mumbled, careful not to mess up his hair.

They both went into the living room where Ruth and Tony were already sitting on the sofa. Ruth sat between Tony and Holden as Charlie sat on the other side of her boyfriend.

After plenty of pictures that would be printed, as promised by Ruth, they went into the dining room. The table was set with a whole bunch of different foods, it looked very cozy and colorful.

Ruth and Tony sat next to each other as did Holden and Charlie. Before they could eat they had to go around the table to say what they were thankful for.

They were silent before Ruth decided to speak up. "I'm thankful for my family and for Charlie." But as Ruth was saying this she heard a sharp ring in her ears. She felt cold and clammy. "I'm glad that all us are happy and healthy. I hope that we haven't run you off Charlie, you're one of us now." The Holden's smiled and clapped while looking at both Ruth and Charlie. Her throat felt like it was completely closed off now. It wasn't emotions, she felt like this all day. She opened her mouth to try to suck in oxygen but it wouldn't make it passed her throat. He looked around before her eyes met Holden's worried one in fear. She couldn't breath.

*

*

Question: What's your favorite holiday?

Mine's any holiday I can drink excessively.

Two more chapters left. Please don't hate me for this.