5. Soaked

The night air was warm and humid as Charlie walked down the sidewalk. She knew she should've stayed inside and asleep now since she had to wake up in a few hours to go to school. Though that's what she knew she should do, instead she was wondering the dark streets alone. Her Grams was fast asleep on the couch. She fell asleep while watching her TV drama with a bowl of something almost spilling from her lap.

Charlie closed her eyes as she walked, enjoying the sounds of the crickets and silence. She didn't know where her destination would be. But she didn't have many options since it was, after all, the middle of the night; reaching the early morning hours. The only people still up were the teens risky enough to party on a school night. But Charlie noticed on her second day that parties weren't a big thing in this town. Sure there were bonfires and things of that sort but no full on parties. She wondered if Holden ever went to one of those parties or bonfires. He is on the school swim team and the swim team seemed to he the big sport of that school. Which was strange, in Charlie's opinion.

Like a moth to a flame, Charlie's legs led her to the one place she felt calm. She stood at the edge of the pier and glanced at the empty beach. The water glinted in the moonlight, looking dark and beautiful. It was the most bizarre sight and she couldn't get enough. Her hometown in Washington was under a constant cloud cover and rainfall. There were the few days of sunlight but it wouldn't last long with the incoming clouds. Before she had to live with her Grams Charlie had never seen this much sunlight. Her pale skin was not used to the exposure so she had a slight sunburn that was starting to peal. She was hoping the sun would make her tan enough so she didn't look too out of place with these Californians.

Charlie took off her sandals and took a few steps in the sand before stopping. She moved her toes around, feeling the sand cover her feet. She walked onward in the dark, going to the part of the beach that looked as though there was no one present. The place hidden away had a large rock leading into the water. Tall enough that if she sat on it she would only get her feet wet.

The sound of the waves rolling in casted an enchantment on Charlie, causing her to relax. She loved being so near the water. It reminded her of her parents. But she loved the water even before her parents sudden death. It was a car crash. The most common sudden death accidents that claimed most every person's life. Though they didn't hit another car. It was dark, raining, and her father didn't see the turn in the road though they drove on that road almost everyday. Charlie wasn't with them. If she was she would have drown in the car along side them. She was thankful but the pain was too much and she wished she was actually there with them.

Charlie laid back on the rock and stared up at the stars. The sky was clear, the stars seemed to shine bright. Though some moments in life seem to be ugly, the beautiful moments still seem to appear. The world moves on. It doesn't stop for anyone.

Something that would make this moment better would be a pillow since the rock was quite hard. Charlie folded her arms under her head.

"Out of all the places and times." A feminine voice said, startling Charlie. She sat up but the rock she laid on happened to be thin so she fell off and to the water with a splash. The water was cold but nice against her heated skin. She popped her head above the water and breathed heavily.

"Oh my goodness, Charlie, are you okay?" Mrs. Hartel asked, standing on the shore edge, not quite going into the water. Charlie stood up, the water dripping off of her body. She held her arms out and shook them out, letting the water fling off. She walked over to the shore edge and looked down at Mrs. Hartel with annoyance.

"I didn't mean to startle you." She said, taking off her jacket and handing it to Charlie. "I seen someone walking along the sand and I came to tell you that the beach is closed after eleven. Come on, let's get you out of those wet clothes." She said, grabbing Charlie's sandals from the rock and wrapping an arm around Charlie's waist to guide her. It was awkward since Mrs. Hartel was so short compared to her 5'11 frame, her head going to Charlie's chin.