Twelve

The sound of my name being called pulled me out from my day dream. The moment Daniel had left yesterday I had been left alone and my mind had wandered towards Zane and I couldn't seem to escape, not until I heard my name. I blinked my eyes several times to bring me out of the daze I was in; it took my eyes a while to focus.

Daniel stood in front of me. His black hair was sticking out in all angles and his black eyes looked slightly crazed, all of this mixed together made him appear as if he was mad. I was aware of him shaking my shoulder as he tried to get my attention.

"What is it?" I demanded.

Daniel let out a deep breath as I finally responded to him. He dropped his arms from my shoulders and did his best to compose himself.

"Lucifer is here," Daniel whispered.

My new wings battered against the inside of my back as they struggled to break free, they knew what his name meant.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes," Daniel replied. "He attacked the twins last night."

"Are they okay?"

"They're fine but extremely pissed off."

"I wouldn't blame them. So, what else do you know about Lucifer?"

Daniel opened his mouth to reply when the sound of the front door to his apartment was flung open. A shiver passed over my spine as the temperature began to drop, Lucifer was here and he was angry. Daniel helped me to my feet and led me towards the kitchen window.

"Where are we going?" I asked in a hushed tone.

"There's a ledge that runs towards the fire escape," Daniel whispered back. "If we can get there quickly we might just be able to lose Lucifer."

Daniel opened the window and gestured for me to go first. I took a deep breath before climbing up onto the counter and slipping silently out of the window. Daniel kept a firm grip on my waist as I carefully placed my feet on the thin edge. I slowly stepped to the side and waited until Daniel was beside me before I moved any further.

My heart pounded in my chest as we carefully made our way towards the safety of the fire escape. I knew that if we were to fall we could set out wings free and fly away but receiving my new powers made me agile and I was able to keep myself balance as I moved across the ledge.

Daniel helped me step onto the fire escape and I made sure that he got down alright. He took the lead and I followed him down the slippery, metal stairway. It didn't take us long to reach the bottom and we were off running as fast as we could away from the apartment.

"We have to get word to the others," I said as we ran.

"Rachel and Ally already know about last night's attack," Daniel explained. "Besides they should be able to sense that Lucifer is in town."

We continued to run until we reached the beach that was oddly deserted. It was the middle of summer so it should have been swarming with locals as well as tourists; it was also a warm day so I didn't understand why no one was here.

"Where is everyone?" I asked Daniel while edging closer to him. "It's strange for humans to not be here."

I looked up to see that Daniel was eyeing the area with caution, he didn't trust the emptiness.

"I don't know Riley," he replied. "But I've got an eerie feeling."

Now that he had pointed it out I couldn't help but notice I felt the same way. I placed a hand on my stomach as I scanned the area to see if there were any signs of human activity.