Five

My body froze in place the moment my eyes landed on the dagger in Lucifer's in hands. I swallowed the scream that wanted to tear its way out of my throat. I slowly lifted my arms up and blocked the doorway so Lucifer couldn't slip past me and get to Zane. I wouldn't let this demon get near the man I would die for - in fact I have already died for him once before.  

            I could see a grin twisting its way onto Lucifer's face as he evaluated my reaction to him and no doubt the dagger. Sam would have told him how I reacted the previous day to the deadly weapon. Hearing my reaction, well, that would have pleased him. He would have enjoyed the fact that I still feared the dagger in his hands but I couldn't help it, he did kill me with it. My heart thudded painfully at the memory.

            "Can I come in?" Lucifer asked while raising an eyebrow at me.

            I took a deep breath and let the fresh air calm my nerves before speaking. I needed to appear and sound strong even if I wasn't at the moment. Zane's life depended on my performance. If I was weak then Lucifer would certainly try and overpower me but if I was strong then he would stay put.

            "No," I snapped in a firm voice, no signs of nerves in my tone.

            Lucifer looked slightly shocked as he stared at me. I could tell that he wasn't expecting me to stand my ground nor be like my old self and snap at him. I thought of all the things that he had done to me and let the anger seep its way into my body. My body was alive with the rage inside of me.

            "Why not?" Lucifer demanded.

            "I don't have to answer you," I growled.

            Lucifer reached out to touch me but I knocked his hand away before he could do such a thing. Lucifer was baffled at the anger in my tone and how I seemed to not be afraid of him. I could see that he was trying to figure out where my hostile façade came from. Did he truly believe that I would turn into a saint after I came back? Did he think that I would cower away from him as he ripped Zane's soul out?

            A smile twisted its way onto Lucifer's face as he realized that I hadn't changed from the angel of death I used to be. He was taking joy in the fact that a part of me was still the evil slave he had made me into.

            "Well, Riley, I can see that you haven't changed much from your martyr endeavour," Lucifer said. "You're still the bitch that used to worship me."

            "Hey!" a deep voice shouted behind me.

            I slowly turned me head to see that Zane was storming over to where I stood; a scowl was etched onto his features. I looked back to Lucifer to see that he was excited to have Zane finally join us. I felt Zane's arms wrap around me as he pulled me closer to him.

            "What do we have here? The Prince and the Princess thought that they had a happily ever after but the villain of the story has come back to cause more torment," Lucifer snickered.

            "I always knew that you would come back," I spat. "I knew that you were planning it! But you can't have him!"

            "Riley, I always get what I want," Lucifer pointed out. "And this time won't be any different."

            I narrowed my eyes at Lucifer as I leaned back and pressed my lips against Zane's ear.

            "Get Rachel and Daniel," I whispered, barely audible.