Promises

I was trying to wrap my head around the fact that Demi told her mom she would say yes if Wilmer asked her to marry him, just a few weeks ago. A part of me thought there had to be a logical explanation. But there was a tiny part of me that wondered if she would have really said yes. Did she want to marry him at some point? I left the restaurant, needing some time to think. I needed a beer, so I headed into the bar connected to the hotel & sat down on a stool.

I had finished one beer & was starting on a second, when someone sat down beside me. I glanced over to see Dianna, smiling, slightly at me. I rolled my eyes & turned my attention to the tv that hung above the bar.

"Nick, I'm sorry." She started. I ignored her & took a swig of my beer. "The only reason Demi had said that to me, was to get me to shut up. I wasn't letting up on her. I kept asking her if she would say yes if he asked her to marry him. I would bring it up all the time, because I had talked to him over Christmas. He wanted to ask her but was afraid she was too young & wouldn't say yes." Dianna sighed & my heart ached, knowing Wilmer was wanting to marry Demi. He could have asked her before we got together & she could have said yes. Would that have made a difference? Would we have still realized our feelings for each other? Dianna sighed. "I don't think she would have said yes, to be honest. I really think she wasn't in love with him the way she is with you."

I looked at Dianna now, sideways. I smirked at her, then sipped on my beer. "Really?" I chuckled.

"I see it now. I have been watching her & listening to her. I was upset about her & Wilmer & letting it affect how I felt about you two getting together. I'm sorry. I should be happy for you both. I know how good you will treat her. I've known you a long time & I know you would never hurt her & I know you will treat her like a queen. Just as your grandfather treated your grandmother & your dad treats your mom. Kevin treats Dani & Joe treats Blanda. And even Frankie treats Maddie, even if they are only friends. You Jonas men are all gentlemen & my daughter is a lucky girl."

I felt my heart break a little when she mentioned my grandpa. I missed him terribly & sometimes I think his death is partly the reason I let my heart be open to the feelings I started to realize for Demi, when we kissed, suddenly. My grandpa had only died a few weeks before that night in Vancouver & I was still reeling from his death as well as the birth of my niece. My world had been shattered in one instant & blessed in the next. It was an eye opener for sure. I started doing some heavy thinking, while I was in Texas for my grandpa's memorial. I remember thinking that I wanted to have the amazing life my grandpa had, with a loving family & tons of loyal friends. I had that already in my young life. I remember being with Olivia after I got home from the memorial & she was very consumed in her own life & career path, that she barely listened to me, when I talked about his death. It made me doubt the longevity of our relationship, which is probably why I was so ready to cheat on her with my best friend.

"I do love her, Dianna." I said, looking down at my beer. "More than I ever thought I could. I've loved her for so many years as my friend & I never thought that love could be anything more than that. I was surprised when we kissed & the love felt deeper." I looked up at Dianna. "And it's been growing ever since. And you're right. I would never hurt her. Ever. I promise you that." I shook my head to emphasize my statement.

"I know. I'm sorry I wasn't more supportive of you two. I love Wilmer like a son, so I was upset. I also know how much your friendship has meant to her over the years & how detrimental your friendship was to her recovery, that it scares me to think what she might do if she lost it."

I took a deep breath & exhaled. "No matter what, I will never stop being her friend."

"If you break up, it's not easy to go back to being friends." Dianna warned.