Chp. 50 "Two-Sided Story"

Start from the beginning

I would not allow this disease to kill my girlfriend.

She leaned her head more into my hand, smiling, “Thank you, for this morning.”

I smiled, remembering the good moment we had shared this morning on top of the Bureau. I was glad I had brought her up there because she really needed to get some fresh air. I responded, “You really needed it.”

She nodded, “I did.”

I leaned into her, kissing her one more time and feeling a sense of neediness inside me. I needed Avery, and I needed her to stay strong for me while I tried to find a cure. I couldn’t lose her, and I couldn’t watch her die.

And I was going to do everything in my power to prevent that.

~ ~ ~ ~

“Walker, I’m going to need you to come with me to present the information to the Defense Head. He’s going to want to meet you.”

I stared at Sullivan while I rubbed my temple with my finger, wanting to drop dead this instant because of this. When I had shot Andrea and she had healed in front of my eyes I never would’ve expected her to be a healer. I had called Sullivan out of instinct, letting him know instantly that Andrea Mason was in fact a Healer, and now I was regretting my decision.

But I knew he was just doing his job now.

Although he was the head of the Investigative Department here at the F.P.S, there was also a head of the Defense Department. General Pearce, who was the head of the Defense Department, made quick and important decisions based on the countries security. Although he wasn’t in the White House, he might has well have been considering all of the influence he had on military decision making.

It was his idea for the Super Soldiers, and majority of National Defense were all for it.

Me on the other hand, I was completely against it, knowing if I followed Sullivan into that meeting that it was just going to further the advancement on this absurd idea.

But I couldn’t refuse because that was risking my job and everything I had worked for.

And honestly, it could also threaten my life.

I looked at him, “Sullivan… you know what they’re going to propose.”

He knew exactly what they were going to propose, and I never knew if he was for or against it. He leaned back coolly in his leather chair, seeming unnerved by the whole “immortal soldier” idea, which only frightened me further.

“I know Walker, but if they would’ve found out she was a Healer without hearing it from Intelligence, we would all be going down.”

The tone in his voice let me know that we were on the same page, and he stood from his desk, leading me out of the office. I knew where we were heading, and I didn’t like the idea of it at all, but protesting was out of the options.

We drove and soon we were at the familiar place that was located not too far from the Investigative Department where we were used to. I looked at Sullivan, feeling as if we were walking into our own deaths as we exited the car and made our way to the large building. The elevator ride was short but awkward, and I knew we were meeting with the highest rank before the White House, and this intimidated me.

I had only met General Pearce once, and it was enough for a lifetime. He wasn’t a man that had a good side, he only had one side, and that was mean and stern. He was controlling, unemotional and unsympathetic. He scared me, and I had only met him once in my entire life.

The elevator let out a light ding as we made it to the top floor, allowing the elevator doors to open onto a narrow hallway. The white linoleum was polished, and the bright light lit up this hallway. Although it resembled the cliché imagination of Heaven, I was sure I was walking straight into Hell.

Actually, I was convinced I was entering Hell.

I saw a guard in a black suit, wearing the usual ear piece and tinted shades, nodding to us as he opened the door. The room held a large round table, which was surrounded by four other people one of which I recognized immediately.

General Pearce.

They all stood, seeming to approve of our visitation although I knew Investigative and Defense never quite got along like we should’ve.

“Sullivan, Walker, please take a seat.”

And we did, next to each other, as if we were each other’s support system. I was nervous, and my heart was pounding fast inside my chest, as if I had drank 8 cups of coffee straight. I kept my cool though, and I was determined to stay strong under the pressure, especially is the spot light would switch to me.

Sullivan spoke on our behalf, “General Pearce, good to see you again.”

Pearce leaned forward on the large wooden table, smiling a devil’s smile as he nodded, “Likewise.” I knew he wasn’t pleased, but I knew he was extremely interested in the case that had been presented to him by Sullivan.

That’s all he was interested in.

He began, “So the information that was relayed to me brings me to realization that we have another Healer, thanks to Sullivan and Walker.” The committee that was sitting in with General Pearce was obviously oblivious to the new found information, and gasped with excitement, causing me to shake my head in disapproval.

“From what Sullivan has informed me, there is a girl that goes by the name of Andrea Brock who is a Healer. Apparently Andrea is being falsely identified because she’s Fred and Teal Mason’s biological daughter, and has inherited Fred Mason’s ability, also coming into contact with a Healer.”

This also got gasps out of the crowd, but they were more frightened than anything.

“She’s lethal, but she’s needed, so I’m assigning you, Agent Walker, and you get to pick your partner. Just get the job done, and don’t disappoint me.”

I looked up at him, seeing his ice blue eyes that were laced with some sort of undeniable evil. Something inside this man was not right, and no one seemed to see it besides the people in the Investigative Department here are the F.P.S.

But I could do absolutely nothing but respond with a stiff nod and a response.

“Yes sir, General Pearce.”