Chapter Nine - Adam's P.O.V - Final Chapter

The Boy Who Never Left, 2014 ForeverYoung786

Edited by rhiannonthepenguin

Chapter Nine

 Adam's P.O.V

"Don't tell her. What she doesn't know won't hurt her," I told the rest of the doctors as we discussed Amelia. I know she didn't take the little Doctor Who joke seriously.

 "It's the law*," one of them argued, "and we can't just not tell her. She is the patient, she's the one suffering from it. She deserves to know and you know we just can't tell her."

 "Fine then. I'll tell her," I ran a hand through my hair and proceeded to walk towards Amelia's room.

 Whilst my hand was on the door knob I debated inside my head of how I would tell her.

 Sugarcoat it or straight forward?

 I can't do the second option. It's too harsh.

 I shook my head and picked a option and twisted open the door knob so I could enter the room.

 "Hi," I say biting my lip in the process so the tears which are threatening to spill won't. Her skin is pale, her eyes lost their colour and bold patches are visible on her head.

 "Hi," her voice is cracked. I could tell her mouth is dry since she refused to eat and drink, a side effect of cancer. The mask covering her mouth, helping to keep her breaths, made it even more difficult to breath. The beeping machine by her side kept beeping making faint beeps every now and again. As I worked more and more in the hospital, I had grown used to them along with the smell. I don't know anyone who actually can stand the smell.

 It's now or never.

 "I'm sorry. You're going to-"

 "I know," she gave me a weak smile with all she had got. "I'm going to die. But it's the circle of life, eventually, we will all die. Some sooner than others like me - some, the extremely lucky ones, later than others. I'm lucky as well if you think about it. I had twenty-five years there are kids here who are younger than the age of five! They don't get to live and that's not fair. It's not right." I sat down by the seat next to her bed.

 "I'll be with my Dad," Amelia smiled. "My Dad. I haven't seen him in ages. I'll miss everyone but you'll join me eventually. It's the circle of life, Adam. We be born, we live and then we die. Then after our death, we join our loved ones, the ones who passed, up there.

 "I'll miss you, Adam. I love you, you know? You just live your life and don't grieve over me forever. Promise me that you won't. Please."

A tear ran down her face and with my thumb I wiped it away whispering, "I promise. I'll grieve but not forever. I love you too."

 "We know when you're going to..." I trailed off not wanting to say the word. I stood up from the chair and moved my gaze off from Amelia knowing that if I looked at her face crumble. I will too.

 "When?" I gave her one small glance, her eyes begged me not to tell her but I had to.

 "At the end of life, the chemical balance of the body becomes completely upset. You will then slips into unconsciousness. This is usually right towards the end, maybe only a few hours or days before death. Yours is predicted to be in a hour." Her breathing became irregular and noisy and I still carried on.

 "Breathing becomes irregular and may become noisy. You won't be able to wake up at all. Then at some point-" I stopped myself realizing it's already happening.

 "I'm...sorry...Ad-" and she slipped into unconsciousness.

 I'm sorry too. I should have done more.

 I left the room and told her family what's going on. Amelia's Mum burst into tears and Mason whispered words of comfort into her ear. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

 "I thought you said you never let any patient go and don't plan on it," Luke said quietly so that only I could hear.

 "Skin. I haven't let those with skin cancer go. I've only done lung once and that patient survived so, I thought that maybe she'll be that lucky as well."

 -

 -

 -

 "I shouldn't even be here," I say to her hoping that she could hear me. "I know what's going to happen next. I've been through all of it. I don't want it to happen to you but it has happened. Oh gosh, I hate this! I want you back. You!"

 The beeps stopped and my breath hitched.

 She's with her Dad now.

 She's gone and is never coming back, ever.

 I held her cold hand and wept.

 Amelia is dead and she is never coming back, ever.

 -

 -

 -

{ A / N } I'm sorry. That was how I planned the ending to be. I hope you liked this story as much as I do. If you voted or commented or even fanned. THANK YOU! There is no words to describe how thankful I am!