Chapter Eight

The Boy Who Never Left, 2014 ForeverYoung786

Edited by rhiannonthepenguin

Chapter Eight

"I'm a doctor, I would know," I heard a deep voice say.

 "Well Mr. McInerney, with all due respects, you specialize in skin not lung," a high pitched voice said.

 "So? I still do lung sometimes," I heard the same deep voice say and this time I recognized it as Adam's. I heard him sigh and walk away, his footsteps slowly fading away.

 Groaning, I opened my eyes feeling weak and helpless. I touched my arm realizing it felt cold just like the rest of me. I then moved my hand over my mouth where I felt a mask over it.

 I tried to utter some words but only muffled sounds escaped my lips making the noise around me suddenly disappear into insufferable silence.

 "Hey, you feeling better?" Mason asked softly from my right. As I looked at him I noticed a few pieces of my brown hair lingering on the pillow I rested on.

 The chemo, I thought.

 "Yeah. Why am I here?" The nurse did something with the machine next to me so I was able to talk and then left during my sentence and soon returned with Adam.

 "I-"

 "You stopped breathing," Adam informed me.

 "I'm fine now. Can I go home?" I say lifting myself up in a more comfortable position.

 "Unfortunately, you can't. Releasing you may lead to complete loss of consciousness and you may not be able to make it to the hospital. We -neither can you- afford something as dangerous and life risking as that." Adam said not making eye contact whatsoever. He left without uttering another word. I wanted to call him back in but didn't. I couldn't. I'm weak as it already is.

 "Mason?" I croaked.

 "Hmm?"

 "I will be okay, won't I?" He gave me a small smile.

 "I wish I knew Amelia, but they won't tell us anything."

 "Then ask Adam. He'll know!"

 "We can't. He isn't telling us anything either," he left, saying that he'll go call Mum.

 "I promised your dad that I would never let any of you have to suffer wh..." Mum broke down in tears making me wish there was something I could do.

 "Mum I'm fine and I'll be fine." I hope. Truthfully deep down I knew what was happening. The changes in breathing and cold hands, arms, legs and feet. I'll never get to tell Adam how much I'll like him. Just because the cancer had to get in the way.

 Mum left and Adam came in.

 He sat down and stared at me and I did the same.

 Then out of the blue he apologized, "I'm sorry." I could see the pain on his face. "I didn't help enough."

 "I'm fine. I'll survive. I'm a fighter."

 "A fighter even needs help."

 "But I don't need help," I told him confidently.

 "Yeah you don't," his voice was cracked whilst he said this. My breathing became noisy, scaring me.

 "Doctor, I'm scared."

 "Of course you're scared, you're dying, now shut up."

 "I knew you'll respond like that. You're still a big Doctor Who fan, I see."

 "I'll always will be." He left saying that I needed my rest.

I love you Adam

-

 -

 -