Chapter One

The Boy Who Never Left © 2014, ForeverYoung786

Edited.

Cancer; noun

A disease caused by an uncontrolled diversion of abnormal cells in a part of the body.

That is what I have, lung cancer.

Sometimes, I ask myself why does it have to be me? Why couldn't it have been someone else?

It's ironic really, that my dad died of cancer and now I might too. They, the doctors, said that there is a 54% chance that I may die, that doesn't exactly make you wanna cry tears of joy, now does it?

But I did. I have more of a chance then my dad ever did but both his parents died of skin cancer and he followed. Now it's me, but not with skin cancer, instead, I was gifted with lung cancer.

"Life's too short, so live in the moment." Dad used to say that all the time it makes more sense now than it has ever done before.

* * *

"Are you coming or not?" I yelled to Mason, my older brother.

"Coming!" He trudged down the stairs with his brown hair falling in front of his face.

He grabbed his car keys from my hand then headed outside towards the car and I followed him reluctantly.

He got into the drivers seat rapidly where as I got in slowly.

Once we had gotten to the hospital, Mason told the reception that I'm in and ready for the treatment whilst I took a seat and started to get lost in my thoughts.

The treatment may have no effect on me, or can get rid of the cancer, or -the one I dread most- kill me instantly.

When the doctors called for me I was too wrapped up in my thoughts to notice.

"Amelia!" Mason snapped bringing me back to reality. I looked up at him and gave him a weak smile before leaving him in the waiting room waiting -what else are you meant to do there? Die? - anxiously, alone and worried for the outcome of the treatment.

The doctors gave me a pill which slipped me into unconsciousness.

*Flashback*

My daddy is lying-down on the white hospital bed wearing the weird, blue hospital gown. I've been here so much that I am used to the smell of chlorine and it has no effect on my sensitive nose, anymore.

"Daddy?" He looked up at me and gave me a smile which didn't reach his eyes. He looked at me as if I'm his entire world, and I am. I will always be his little princess forever and always.

"Yes, Amelia." His strong French accent rolled off the tip of his tongue never disappearing into the British one me, my mum, my brothers and sister have.

"A-are you dying?" I asked cautiously and scared for the answer I'll be given. But wouldn't every little girl be if their daddy, their role model, was dying with the same thing which killed your paternal grandparents before you were born.

"Amelia, Daddy needs his rest." Mummy interrupted before daddy could utter a word from his mouth.

"It's fine dear, it's about time she knew after all she deserves to know." Daddy told mummy in a stern tone before scooting over in the bed to make room for me.

"Come sit here, Amelia." Daddy patted the spot beside him before giving mummy a look which I couldn't decipher, the look made Mummy leave the room muttering something incoherent.

I went and sat beside Daddy.

"Everyone dies but when they die they become angles and go to heaven," he told me softly.

"To God?" A tear rolled down Daddy's face and he wiped it away with his thumb.

"To God," he confirmed, "but we don't know when we are going to die. Amelia, it's Daddy's time to go to-" he stopped trying to think of the correct word to say, when he thought of it he took a deep breath before continuing. "-God"

"God wants Daddy." he added, sadly.

"That's not fair! You're my daddy! God can't take my daddy for a angel! God already has lots of angels!" He laughed at my little outburst.

"I know, baby girl, I know" he shut his eyes.

"Daddy?" I put the string of brown hair which had managed to come into my vision behind my ear.

"Hmm," his chest was rising slowly as if any minute now he would die. Little did I know that he was going to.

"I love you," I rested my small head on his shoulder thinking how life would be without him. The only thing that came to mind was, impossible, horrible, useless and lonely even though I have my mum, my sister, my older brother and will soon have my little brother.

"I love you too, Amelia." He managed to say since he was struggling to breathe which had gone unnoticed by me. Beeps came from the monitor beside daddy I lifted my head up from his shoulder and noticed that his chest wasn't rising and the sound of him breathing had disappeared, I knitted my eyebrows in confusion, the annoying beeping had also stopped which I'm grateful for.

Doctors and nurses came rushing in along with my mummy who carefully picked me up and took my out of the room away from Daddy, where doctors were saying words to nurses which I couldn't comprehend.

My mummy placed my on her lap, I took a glance at her tear-stained face and instantly knew what is going on.

I gave out a loud cry, making people in the waiting room giving me glares which I just shrugged off.

"Daddy!" I cried and cried until my eyes were red and puffy, my throat was dry and I was tired, tired of crying for someone that's never going to come back no matter how much I wanted him. I snuggled up to my mummy who was crying but put on a face earlier for me -she still sniffed once and again- she slowly patted my long brown hair whilst humming a tune until I was off to dreamland with teddy bears, daddies and mummies who never died, ever.

*Flashback over*

"Did the treatment go wrong?" I heard Mason ask.

"No, but we don't know whether it had no effect or is going to have an effect." A deep voice said. I tried to open my eyes but was unable to.

As I struggled to open my eyes or move any part of my body darkness was slowly taking over me bit by bit.