Young Love

~Brendon's POV~

I can't believe I'm actually sitting here in this booth with Ryan Ross. It's silent and we're just staring at each other.

Then Ryan says something.

He looks down as he speaks.

"George Ryan Ross III." He kind of mumbles.

I'm confused. "What?" I ask.

"That's my full name. George Ryan Ross III. But I just go by Ryan Ross because if I went by George Ryan Ross III-" I cut him off.

"Then you'd be associated with your dad."

"Yeah."

I lift his chin with my three fingers. "Hey. It's okay. I don't associate you with him at all. You're just the opposite of what he is. And I love you."

Ryan half-smiles. "I love you, too."

Ryan puts his elbow on the table and rests his chin in his hand. He gazes out the window. I study him closely.

I can see a little bit of hurt in his eyes. Hurt mixed with wanting as he stares out at the moon. It's like a prologue to a horror movie.

Not that I think Ryan is a horror movie.

My thoughts are interrupted when Ryan speaks. He doesn't look at me- he doesn't even change his position. "Do you think I'm flawed?" He asks.

I'm startled. Caught off guard by the question. I blink blankly once. "Flawed?" I ask. "In what way?"

Ryan turns to look at me, but his chin is still resting in his hand. "Flawed. Like there's something wrong with me. And be honest."

I shake my head. "No. I think you've just had a past."

Ryan nods and goes back to looking out at the moon. I'm worried about him. I feel like there's something he's not telling me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning I wake up to Ryan playing piano. It sounds like he's just noodling, or witting a song.

"What's that, babe?" I ask groggily, rolling over in my bed to look at him.

Ryan turns around, startled. "I- I was writing a song." He blushes.

I put my hand out, motioning for him to show me the song. "It's not done yet and I don't know if it's good or not." He says as he hesitantly hands me the paper.

I look at the words on the page and begin to sing.

If all our life is but a dream
Fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelry to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me

And then she said she can't believe
Genius only comes along
In storms of fabled foreign tongues
Tripping eyes, and flooded lungs
Northern downpour sends its love

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

The ink is runnin' toward the page
It's chasin' off the days
Look back at both feet
And that winding knee
I missed your skin when you were east
You clicked your heals and wished for me

Through playful lips made of yarn
That fragile Capricorn
Unraveled words like moths upon old scarves
I know the world's a broken bone
But melt your headaches, call it home

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down
You are at the top of lungs
Drawn to the ones who never yawn

I stare down at the paper in my hand, not knowing what to say. Thankfully, Ryan speaks first.

"Really concentrate on the lyric 'I know the world's a broken bone / but melt your headaches, call it home'."

I nod because I still don't know what to say. "That was incredible." I smile and kind of laugh when I finally find my voice.

Ryan blushes. "It's nothing." The boy's very self-conscious. "Now you owe me a song!" He announces kind of jokingly.

But I don't take it as a joke. "I know." And I don't say it so much as promise it.

Ryan gives me a quick hug and goes downstairs. To get food, probably.

I sit down on the piano bench and sigh. He wrote a song for me. I think. He loves me enough to write me a song.

When I'm sure Ryan is downstairs, I open a desk drawer and pull out my song book. I've been working on something ever since I met him, but I keep revising it because it doesn't feel right. I want it to be perfect, like Ryan's song.

I hear Ryan walking up the stairs, and shove the songbook back into its desk drawer. I'm sitting on the piano bench when he opens the door.

"What's that song called?" I ask.

Ryan shakes his head. "I don't know. I never thought it was important enough for a name."

I think back to the song. "How about... Northern Downpour?" I suggest.

Ryan smiles a big smile. "I love that." He kisses me. "Just like I love you."