Part 7

Word & its meaning:

chaat - A savory snack served at roadside tracks from stalls or food carts in India.

Recap:
Taking a deep breath, I composed myself and looked up. Oh lord! Why does this happen to me only?

Neha's POV

I'm such a fool. It literally escaped my mind that I'm not alone. I'm sitting with Payal, who is now giving me a questioning look. Now, what do I say to her? And to think that Arun is coming here, what introduction should I give of him to Payal now?

I gave a sheepish grin to her and started with a sorry,

"Sorry Payal, it was my mom's call, you know how she is right? I forgot to tell her that I'm sitting at the cafe. You remember me always calling her after reaching and before leaving college? I still do inform her, but now through messages."

I tried to divert her thoughts by reminiscing and giving a fake laugh. She smiled at me and said,
"You'll never change Neha."

I mentally thanked God for helping me to successfully divert the conversation to another track.

"But, is everything alright? How is aunty's health? You seemed anxious towards the end of your convo (conversation)."

I take my sincere thank you back. Why do my expressions reveal my emotions on my face when I don't want others to know them? Just why!

I jumped into outright denial,
"No, nothing like that. Mom's fine and healthy just like everyone else at home. I..."

Yes, time to show your acting skills Neha. Get, set, go! I stopped my sentence midway and acted as if my phone vibrated and opened it to have a look at it.

"Hey Payal, I'm sorry but my friend is coming to meet me. It's very important. I'm sorry that we'll have to cut short our conversation for today. You go ahead with your work. We'll meet again soon."

I know what I'm doing is wrong, but I have no other option as I don't want to explain my situation to her. I don't want anyone to know about the proposal just now.

"Hey, that's not fair. We have met after such a long time and who is this friend of yours who is interfering with our reunion time?"

"Stop it dear, what are you saying? We just had an hour of reunion and we'll meet again, right? I'm really sorry, but it's seriously important. Please, it's a request."

"It's okay I forgive you this time. Next time you'll sit with me until the time I ask you to. So get up. At least we'll walk till the station together and have some chaat on our way, what say?"

I chuckled and said, " After eating here, still you are hungry? Thanks for the offer but I can't come because my friend is coming here. So I'm going to wait here." I completed with a sheepish smile on my face.

She just gave me a fake angry look, hugged me tight and chirping a bye, went towards the door of the cafe.

At the same time, the bells on the door jingled indicating the arrival of a new customer. I looked up to see who it was but instead saw Payal standing near the door and gesturing to someone for me to look. I looked towards the direction of her eyesight and saw a man, wearing formals of black and grey, standing with his back towards me.

My phone pinged indicating the arrival of a message. I looked at it, only to see that it was from Payal.

'Hey, you saw the man who just entered? He is soo good-looking! Should I go and ask his number?'

Oh my god, this girl! What should I do with her? She's never going to stop flirting. I messaged her back that,

'No, no, no. You have many more important things to do right now. Remember the work that you have to do before going home'

I looked up from my mobile towards the door, only to see Payal still standing there, reading my message with a frown on her face. I laughed softly at that scene. After reading, she looked at me grumpily as if I had snatched her favorite toffee from her; but, then the frown changed into a smile as she gave me a wave and went away. I too waved back at her.

Just then, I heard a 'hi' chime from beside me. I got startled by the sudden sound so near me and my hand automatically dropped down. And guess what? The same man whom I had seen moments before, was sitting before me on the chair with a smile on his lips.

'Oh Lord!' was my mind's reaction.