Play date with Sara√

"Sarah?"

"Yes, sorry. Hi," I gasped, cradling the phone against my head. I clutched the base of the phone in my right hand. I had just managed to catch it before it hit the tile floor. "Charles decided my to attend local car show. I was getting a hold on his collectible car thing. I just managed to allow it." My laughter was a little shrill. It had to be nap time.

"Oh. Yeah. Been there, done that," Mary laughed. "I wanted to invite you for a play date on Saturday afternoon."

I am well trained. My eyes shot directly to the oversized calendar on the wall. "I have Charles down for going out with Chucky, Mickey, and Daniel. They will already be together."

I was confused. Normally we would meet in a family setting. Our sons would be allowed to play. While us adults did the double dating couples thing of some sort.

We were newbies. Well, new friends.

I know that!" my new friend laughed.

Charles and her husband Daniel had recently met at Toddler Time. Where the boys attended Daycare.

Mary and I had befriended each other as well.

"I just figured while the men were out bonding with the boys, we could have a play date of our own. Some mommy time."

"Ah," I said, feeling relieved. Not that I understood but I continued as I did. "Sure.

What did you want to do?"

"How does nothing sound?" Mary giggled while asking.

"Maybe some wine , crackers and some conversation that does not involve, 'do you have to go potty,or do you want to 'eat-eat'?' How's that grab you?"

"It grabs me just right," I admitted.

Silently thinking why the word "Grab"? What happened to how does that sound? I figured I was a tad bit behind on the "new lango. Having my son took my play time away. Perhaps an adult outting was just what I needed.

"My calendar says the men are meeting up around two. Should I be there at the same time?" I said speculative.

"Sounds good, sister. I'll be looking forward to seeing you then!"

Before I could ask if I should bring anything, Mary hung up. Thinking to myself I never show up without bringing a gift for the occasion. She'd known me long enough to know that. My only problem is I'm not sure whether to bring a bottle of red wine , one homemade speciality, or a manicure set.

I turned just in time to see Charles peeing into my potted fern.