Chapter 25

печь (Furnace)

You scanned your surroundings soon after gaining consciousness. Sure, your vicinity wasn't unfamiliar, but your mind did take it's own sweet time taking it all in. You hurriedly sat up, only to be pushed back onto the pillow. "Take it easy, champ. I'm gonna get you something to drink." The voice sounded very much like Dean's.

Does he know? You mouthed to Sam, who was sitting by your bedside. Yes. I don't get it either. He mouthed back. This certainly wasn't a typically Dean Winchester reaction to an endangered friend. "Dean, are you alright?" You asked when he returned with an energy drink. "That's what I should be asking you! We found you passed out in the middle of the living room when we came over." Whatever façade Dean was hiding behind, it was starting to wear off. "Yeah, I just had a rough day." You dared not look him in the eyes.

"I bet."

-

A mutual decision was reached upon to take the day off. It wasn't like you had a day job anymore, taking the day off meant not reporting at the Avengers facility. You did call Natasha and let her know, reluctant to not let the incident with Tony repeat itself.

Squished between Sam and Dean on the couch, you attempted to reach the popcorn bowl on the table but two over six feet bodies granted you no movement whatsoever. Ultimately a swirl of gold waves carried the bowl to you as you curled your fingers inwards. "So, why'd you choose World's Biggest Playboy over Captain All-things-good-and-pure?" Dean's eyes didn't leave the TV.

"Who, Steve?" You scoffed, "He's my best friend." "Yeah, best friends don't make you breakfast after staying the night with you." He rolled his eyes. "You did." You scooted closer to Sam in mock hurt. Dean gave you a nasty look and leaned heavily on you which, in turn, pushed you over Sam and caused the three of you to break out in a fit of laughter. Exactly.

By the end of the movie Dean felt a warm liquid trickle down his cheek. He absent mindedly wiped it off but recoiled in shock after looking at his fingers. "(Y/N), are you hurt?" He threw the blanket off of you. "What do you mean? I'm fine." Your only concern was your popcorn bowl which was exposed and could be raided at any given time. "You're bleeding through your skin!" Sam stood up and, sadly, pulled the bowl of popcorn away from you.

They were right. You were sweating blood. Dean had already sprinted to the bathroom in order to get tissues while Sam made use of the resources he had at hand. Ripping a large piece of his shirt, he began wiping the blood off your arms. "This is what happens when you make stupid decisions." Dean grumbled as he cleaned your face and neck, "Stupid decisions that I support but which doesn't make them any less stupid!" He backpedaled upon seeing the dejected look on your face.

-

"Did it....hurt?" Dean asked you in the car. You had received the golden opportunity of riding in the passenger seat. Damn, he must be really freaked out. "Not at all. Does that make it better?" You put your hand over his.

"No."

-

"Miss (L/N), two men foreign to the records have entered the building right behind you." Tony's A.I. informed you the moment you set foot in the tower. "They're with me FRIDAY. No cause for alarm." You shuffled your group into the elevator.

Sam was ecstatically rocking on his feet, clearly overjoyed at being inside The Stark Tower. "Dude don't pass out." You put your arm out to steady him, "Because even though I can lift you with my powers, I won't."

"Oh, (Y/N), I was so worried." Natasha's hug crashed the air out of your lungs. "Hey." Dean was trying to work his charm. The hell? "So, who's the Rogers lookalike?" She asked after pulling away. You laughed along with her. "This is Dean. And that's Sam." A few waves and handshakes were exchanged.

You intuited one awkward wave to be Bucky's. "Hi." You slowly approached him, "Sorry about yesterday. I shouldn't have done it without giving you prior information but I didn't have much of a choice." "It's okay, doll." He put a comforting hand on your shoulder, "Considering everything you're doing for me, I can't really get mad at you, can I?" His words conceived a fuzzy feeling in your heart. You might not have known the Bucky Barnes from the forties, but you were certain he was beginning to show.

"I assume you need my head to work on?" Bucky walked out of the common room and you gladly followed his lead. Amidst the shadows, from a corner by the end of the stairs, Tony was watching the entire debacle. He remembered the time he had promised to be with you through thick and thin, and at the moment he was wondering where it all went wrong.

A/N: The end is near. So much excite! Anyhoo, all suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcome.