Chapter 21

желание (Longing)

"This is a nice place you got here." Tony commented as soon as he entered your apartment.

"I know that, Tony. I know that because you say it every single time you come over." You went over to the coffee table and dropped your keys.

Tony shrugged. "But it is."

"You're just saying that because you want to sleep with me." You teased.

"What? No! Although, that would be nice." He approached you from behind and wrapped his arms around your waist.

"Well, I didn't see any bathrooms at Hydra so the first thing I'm gonna do is take a shower. Care to join?" You giggled as he kissed down your neck. He turned you around and placed his lips on yours as he slowly led you to the bathroom.

-

"Just say it." Tony's eyes never left the road as he spoke.

"Hmm?" You face turned to him, your eyes remained where they were.

Tony could not afford to look at you for extended periods of time, he was driving after all. In all fairness, the entire issue could wait, had it not been for the extremely unsettling feeling in his stomach. "Don't act all innocent. I know there's something on your mind. Say it."

You thought about what he said before speaking. "I think... I think I can negate Bucky's trigger words."

"Say what now?" It was convenient that the car had to stop at a red light. Your acquiescence elicited more questions than answers.

"And you haven't done it already because..." He trailed off, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"The words are embedded substantially deep into his mind. Plus, he has been under their command for almost a century now." There was no use beating around the bush. "There's a chance I might not make it."

-

"Tony, come on! We've got to discuss this." You sighed, getting out of the car. He hadn't said a word since you had told him about your idea and he wasn't saying anything now.

"We already have, (Y/N). We're not doing this. I'm not putting your safety in jeopardy. I learned my lesson." He walked off to the Stark tower's entrance.

Bucky's transformation into the Soldier had left a deep rooted mark on you. You could practically taste the guilt and anguish radiating off him and you had made up your mind. "This is not your decision to make."

It was Tony's turn to sigh. He couldn't believe he had to justify himself for wanting his girlfriend to live. 'That's what most people want, right?' "Look, (Y/N), I love you. And as long as we are together, you don't get to make life and death choices by yourself." He gently kissed the back of your hand, hoping  — praying — that you would understand.

"Then maybe we shouldn't be together." Your voice was barely above a whisper. Tony was saying something but it didn't register in your head. Your eyes didn't even meet his as you all but broke into a sprint for the elevator.

Your immediate destination was your safe spot — the only place in the entire tower which escaped the surveillance of all cameras in the vicinity, the small space connecting two flights of stairs. Your pace slowed upon seeing someone else there already.

"What are you doing here?" Bucky looked at you but averted his gaze just as quick. As it turned out, it wasn't as personal a spot as you had come to believe.

You scoffed but took a seat next to him. "You think you're the only one who needs the escape?" Heavy silence reigned the air.

"Did I hurt you?" He asked after some time.

"You wish." You laughed a little but when Bucky didn't join in, you awkwardly coughed, "No. I'm good." Silence took over again.

"Bucky, I think I can help you beat the Soldier." You started.

"Yeah, so did Tony. And T'Challa. And the Wakandian scientists." He reeked of disdain.

"Goddamn it, Barnes! I did not break up with my boyfriend for this." Before he could protest, you pressed your fingers at his temples. Your eyes shone gold; the energy traveled down your arms and soaked into him. Soon, you felt too drained to go on and pulled away.

Bucky jerked his head, trying to rid himself of the dizzy feeling. "I don't feel any different."

"It's okay, you won't. We'll work with one word at a time. I'm not strong enough." You laughed at your own words, "God, that's the first time I've said that."

Bucky stood up and offered you a hand, which you took willingly. "What do you mean you broke up with Stark?" He quizzed.

-

"FRIDAY, where's (Y/N)?" Tony asked the A.I. after fruitlessly searching the tower for you. FRIDAY replied after a moment of silence. "I don't know, boss."

"What?"

"She is not in sight of any of the cameras. Although, I can assure you, she hasn't left the building." The information offered no solace.

-

"You don't deserve this, Buck. No one does." You put a hand on his cheek, "I will heal you. Even if it takes everything I have." The tears welling in your eyes prevented you from saying any further. You pressed your palms to your eyes and sniffed, giving Bucky a weak smile before ascending the stairs.

A/N: All suggestions and constructive criticism is always welcome.