Chapter 22

Zoe's POV

The next day I was in my classroom. It was my free hour so I was grading homework. As soon as I finished it I went on to start checking stats. There was a knock on the door and I said come in loudly enough for the person to hear. When I looked up as the door opened I saw Natalie walk in. I smiled at her then looked back at my computer screen.

"What can I do for you Natalie?"

"I was wondering if I could stay in here and do homework."

"Sure, that's fine."

As I continued to go over our stats and comparing them to other teams' stats, Natalie sat in the desk across from mine doing her homework. I sighed, leaning back in my chair. It was still first period, and only half way through it. I closed my eyes, remembering my night with Whitney.

I lied against her chest, listening to her breathing.

"God Zoe, I missed you so damn much," she sighed.

I smiled, "I missed you too, Whit."

Her fingers gently brushed up and down my arm. I started to nod off until a thought came to mind.

"Whit," I said softly.

"Hmm?"

"What about your girlfriend?"

She stiffened.

"I... Haven't told her yet..."

I sighed and sat up.

"You need to tell her."

"I know, I'm working on it. She hasn't been at practice, she's on vacation."

I looked at her and I have a soft smile. I missed her and got up to take a shower.

"You're not leaving are you," she asked.

"No, I need to shower. Would you like to join me," I asked slyly.

She grinned at me.

"I'd love to join you."

As I felt the hot water flow down my body, I felt her soft but sure hands trailing all over me, her lips on my neck. Her lips' assault of my neck resulted in a hickey. We had ended up on the floor of the shower, tangled up in each other all over again...

I opened my eyes and looked at the ceiling. God, those five years without her had been a living hell.

"You okay, Coach Kelsey," Natalie asked.

"Mmhm, I'm fine."

I felt her hand on my thigh and when I looked down from the ceiling I found her face just inches from mine.

"Natalie, what are you..."

Her lips met mine and before I really knew what I was doing I kissed back, putting my hands on her waist and pulling her on top of me. She let out a small moan as my tongue explored her mouth. Suddenly there was a loud bang in the hallway and a girl let out a blood curdling scream. We both jumped up and I ran to the door, opening it and looking out. There was another bang and at that point my eyes widened as I realized what the sound was. Those were gunshots... Another scream tore through the quiet halls.

"What-"

I cut Natalie off, pushing her back into the classroom.

"Stay here!"

I ran out into the hall just as the secretary came over the intercom.

"There is an active shooter in the building! South end evacuate! North end lock down!"

"Shit!"

I turned back to my classroom and got Natalie.

"We're getting out, now!"

When we ran out into the hallway, there were students pouring out of classrooms. Just as we raced past a bathroom there was a yell and a boy jumped out waving a knife. He was going after the student in front of me. Without thinking, acting purely on instinct, I shoved the girl down and jumped in the boy's way. I felt the knife slash across my right arm and then I felt it stab into my shoulder.

I held back my scream of pain and landed a hard punch to his jaw. He fell back onto the floor, out cold. The knife clanged to the floor as I fell against the wall. I was dazed but I recognized Natalie's voice beside me.

There were still kids filing past is and screams erupted as another boy came around the corner at the end of the hall with a gun. I saw him aim at Natalie and I quickly pushed her to the floor as the gun went off. I fell to the floor and the world went black...

-----------

Whitney's POV

I sat at my desk reading through essays as my students did their homework. A conversation caught my attention.

"Woah! Check this out! There's a shooting going on right now!"

I glanced up just as my phone buzzed. I checked my texts, it was Alex... Her text said, Check the news, there's a school shooting.

I got on the computer and pulled up the news. There was a breaking news headline.

SCHOOL SHOOTING - 40+ injured - shooter still on rampage in the building.

I clicked on the article and quickly read through it. My breath caught in my throat and my heart nearly stopped... The shooting was at East High School...