Chapter 18

Whitney's POV

I walked down the hallway to my classroom. I got a text from my assistant coach, reading: Hey Whit, just got your text. I'm headed to the school, I'll meet you in your classroom and we can discuss this weeks upcoming game.

I went into my classroom and sat down at my desk. Alex was a great assistant coach. Whenever the team was having troubles she'd bring the concerns to me. I trusted her with my life. She walked into my classroom with a kind smile on her face. Alexis Rutger was a beautiful woman and she knew the game of softball very well. She was my height and she had caramel brown hair and blue eyes.

She came to my desk and straddled me. Her lips met mine with her hands on my shoulders and my hands on her waist. Her tongue tangled with mine and I moaned into her mouth. Alex pulled away laughing.

"I love it when I get that reaction out of you," she said with a smile.

I smirked at her and then she climbed off me. She sat across the desk from me and we started discussing the next games. We were half way through the season now and we were undefeated. That coming weekend we had a big tournament and those were the games we were trying to prepare for.

"Did you hear East High is gonna be there this weekend," Alex asked.

"Really? What made then want to go? They get their asses kicked by every team in the state," I said.

She smirked and nodded.

"Apparently they got a new head coach this year."

I raised an eyebrow at this.

"Who?"

She shrugged.

"No clue, the newspapers don't care enough about East High to mention a new coach."

"Hmm, well just cuz they got a new coach doesn't mean they'll be good."

Alex tossed me a stack of papers.

"What's this?"

"East High's stats from the beginning of the season to now. Apparently a new coach is exactly what they needed."

My eyes widened at their stats. They looked like a whole new team.

"Well shit, maybe they're just getting lucky."

"Look what you did with this team. A state championship your first year and every year after that. That was five years ago, Whit. You've done amazing things with this team."

Now my interest was piqued, who was their new coach? My thoughts were interrupted by arms around my waist and lips on my neck. I smiled and leaned back into her.

"Let's go to your place," Alex whispered.

"We have practice Alex," I said raggedly.

"Then let's stay in here..."

I smiled and pushed her onto my desk.

That Weekend

We got off the bus and into the hotel. It was late and the whole team was tired. Alex and I went into our hotel room and we both fell onto the bed. I yawned and got back up after Alex fell asleep. I went out into the hall to the vending machine to get a drink. As I was walking back to my room a woman passed me.

I stopped dead in my tracks and watched her walk down the hallway...

Was... was that who I thought it was?

-------------

Zoe's POV

Five years.... We hadn't seen each other in five years. I knew for a fact it was Whitney. I could never forget her face. I had thought about her all through my college career and when I got my teaching license I applied to East High and ended up getting the head coaching job. I was going to make this team better, and so far I had done just that.

When I got close to my hotel room someone stopped me.

"Wow, do you just completely ignore who you saw?"

I sighed and frowned, looking at her leaning against the wall outside my hotel room.

"What do you want Jacquelynn," I said coldly.

"Oooh so cold. Have you two not been rolling around the sheets lately?"

"Keep your nose out of my business."

"Hmmm you sound like you need to get laid."

I looked at her surprised and then I frowned.

"I haven't slept with her for five years."

And I slammed the door in her face.

I plopped onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. How was I going to last this weekend?

The Next Day

I watched my team getting off the bus. My assistant coach came up beside me.

"Here's the info on the first team we're playing."

I looked through the file and my eyes widened. I sighed, of course that's who we were playing first.

After my team warmed up I went to home plate to shake hands with the other teams head coach. I looked at her as she walked over, but she hadn't looked up yet... As we shook hands our eyes met and she stiffened up. I turned and made my way back to the dugout. I looked over my shoulder at her and said:

"Good luck Coach Warner."