Chapter 14

*Warning: Scenes of abuse are featured in this chapter. If this could upset you please use caution moving forward*

Zoe's POV

All I could do was glare back at them. I didn't know what to do... Tyson and my mom just looked at me, waiting for an answer. But I couldn't give them one...

"Are you going to tell us or not," Tyson practically growled.

"I...."

Before I could even try to think up a lie something hit my cheek and left a burning feeling. I put my hand to my cheek and stared in disbelief. Tyson was right in front of me with his hand up as if he was going to strike me again.

"Tell me, now."

I glared and when he raised his fist again I grabbed his wrist but in vain, he brought back his other hand, and sent a balled fist flying right into my forehead right above my eye.

----------

Whitney's POV

I couldn't stop thinking about the time I had spent with her. Our bodies had fit perfectly together, as if they were made for each other. I was trying to go over game stats to get them reported to the newspapers when there was a frantic pounding at the door. With a confused look I opened the door to find Zoe bloody and beaten.

"Oh my god, Zoe!"

"W-Whitney..."

She collapsed into my arms and I pulled her inside. What the fuck had happened to her? I carried her into the bathroom and started cleaning her off. I felt my anger rising as I realized someone had out their hands on her. I could see the handprints here and there where she had been hit. After she was washed up I took her to my bed and laid her down.

I lied next to her in my bed, keeping her close. Afraid of losing her... That's when the guilt started to set in. I shouldn't have left her alone, I shouldn't have taken her back there. I was blaming myself for what happened to her. At some point I must have fallen asleep because when my eyes opened it was early morning. I lifted my head and glanced over at the clock on the nightstand. 5:45am.

I sighed and went to climb out of bed to go to the bathroom. Zoe seemed to sense the motion, causing her to wake, and she latched onto my wrist.

"Please! Whitney don't leave me!"

"Hey, hey, shh. It's okay, Zoe, I'm not going anywhere," I whispered kissing her forehead and stroking her hair, trying to calm her.

She finally calmed down a little and cuddled into me. I could tell her body hurt and my anger flared again

"Zoe, who did this to you?"

She stayed silent, I knew she wasn't asleep. She just didn't want to answer.

"Zoe," I said a little more sternly.

"My mom's boyfriend," she muttered.

I stiffened and it took all I had to not jump out of that bed, drive to her house and beat the living shit out of that man. Zoe looked up into my eyes.

"Please, just leave it alone. It's not worth losing you over," she whispered.

I looked at her confused.

"If you confront him, he'll go to the police about us. He doesn't know I came here tonight."

My blood froze in my veins. Police? About us? Shit....

"H-He knows?"

She only nodded. I stared at the wall, suddenly terrified. I couldn't lose my job... I didn't want to go to jail...

"He made me promise I wouldn't be with you anymore," she said, tears building in her eyes.

I looked down at her unsure if what to say. I didn't want this relationship to end, but I couldn't go to jail...

"Zoe, I promised you we would make this work. And that's just what we're going to do."

I kissed her passionately and held her tight.

1 Week Later

I was headed to my parents' place from practice. Zoe and I hadn't been around each other outside of school and practice. We had decided to let things die down until she turned 18. She would be 18 in five days and I knew the wait would be well worth it. I loved her with all my heart. I needed to tell her that.

When I got to my parents' house I saw my older brother's car in the driveway. When I walked in he and his wife were laughing with my mother and the minute they saw me they quieted down.

"Sorry I'm late, practice ran later than I wanted it to."

My mother just nodded and walked into the kitchen, while my brother just acted like I didn't exist. I went into my dad's office and found it empty. I sat down in a chair and then I heard his voice and someone else's as they came down the hall to the office.

"Yes I'm very honored! I'd love to help your team out, how much money would you like donated?"

"Well, $1,000 would be much appreciated."

That voice.... What the hell? I turned around in my seat, and my eyes about popped out of my head. My father was grinning shaking hands with a woman that was really starting to get under my skin. I stood up and glared at her.

"Whitney, this is-" I cut my father off.

"Coach Jaquelynn Taylor."

A/N: uh oh she's baaaaack ;)