Chapter 19 Itona

I was sitting at my desk building an RC tank, that would be able to shoot Anti-Koro-Sensei BB's when some of my classmates walked up.

"What are you building?" 

"Just what is looks like: an RC tank." I said as I held it up closer to my face.

"Why?"

"I had an all-day cram session with that octopus yesterday. It stressed me out. He really ticked me off...so I'll use this to kill him. Just like Tersaka's dumb face told me...I can fail a hundred times. So I'll go kill him, expecting the worst.

"Go kill him? You mean..."

"B-But this thing...It's, like, crazy high-tech!"

"Wait! Why was I the only one insulted?" Tersaka asked me but I ignored him and went back to work.

"Is this for real?"

"This thing uses cell phone camera parts."

"Wow, Itona... You thought up these tweaks yourself?"

"I learned basic electronics at my old man's shop. Anybody could do it. Except Terasaka." I said and I could hear Tersaka clench his teeth at me.

Once it was done, I sat it down on the ground and grabbed the controller.

"Whoa!" everyone said as it moved around them. I aimed at the cans I sat up earlier and it successfully shot them. All in pretty much silence, too.

"Amazing...It's practically silent when it moves and when it shoots!"

"I used a lot of electronic controls to minimize gear noise." I said and someone whistled.

"The camera feed is sent to the controller, moving in tandem with the main gun's sights." I told them.

"Wow, real spy stuff!"

"Even if you can aim this at him...where would you aim?"

"I'll let you guys in on something. There's one ideal place we should be aiming for:our target's weak spot. He has a heart. Right under his tie. If we hit that, we can take him down in a single strike." I said.

"We can use this."

"Yeah. Okay, let's give it a test run to prep for an assassination."

"If it breaks during the real deal, we'll be clean outta luck."

I nodded and started driving it out of the class room and down the hall.

"Dead slow ahead!" 

I was fixing to pass the staff room only for a couple girls to walk out.

"See anything?"

"No--the camera didn't get that far. The field of view is too narrow! Can't we get a bigger camera?"

"It'll increase the weight, decrease it's mobility, and make target acquisition more difficult." I said.

"IN that case...Why don't we use a fish-eye lens on the camera?"

"Takebayshi!" everyone cried out.

"If we have the CPU correct any distortion in the received image...even a small lens can get us a wide field of view." Takebayshi said.

"Got it. I'll find a small fish-eye lens with a big viewing angle."

"Ritsu?"

"Hai!" She said once she turned on.

"Can you build a distortion correction program?"

"Sure! I don't know what you need it for, but I'll take care of it!" She said.

"You're a genius, Takebayshi."

"We need a recording function."

"Yeah--it's a must for effective analysis of our upgrades."

"Am I the only one who is worried about what Aika-Chan and the girls will do if they find out?"

"Calm down, Nagisa-Kun, the girls aren't going to know. Besides, we all want to see what Karma gets to see."

"I don't!" Nagisa-Kun cried out only to be ignored.

"All in the name of assassination! Onward!" I drove it outside only for it turn on it's side after the stairs. 

The next morning, after all the modifications I was driving it outside and everyone was yelling and trying to take the controller from me but I still managed to smile.

"Itona, we're all working on this together. Why don't you give this thing a code name?"

"I'll think about it." I said before I looked down.

The tentacles once asked me what I wanted to me. When I said I wanted to be strong...soon that was all I could think about: hazy thoughts of fighting and winning. "You can start with a fine thread. Over time, you'll spin it into something stronger. Itona: 'becoming thread.' My wish for you, right there in your name." I remember hearing my father say. How did I ever forget my roots? I asked myself.

"Ack! It crashed! Terasaka, you suck at this!"

"Say what?! Hey, Itona, isn't this lever a little loose?" Tersaka asked me and I smiled some.

This is probably where I should have started all along. I thought before I stopped and looked at the video feed where there was a large shadow.

"A monster!" Everyone yelled. They attacked it and the wild weasel attacked destroying the RC tank.

"Dammit...To think we were done in by a weasel."

"Next time we'll need to assign a driver and a gunner. You're on firing duty, Chiba."

"Un...okay." Said Chiba.

"Mistakes are all part of the development process. Itona 1 may have been a dud, but we'll spin it into something stronger. I can fail a hundred times, but I will kill him in the end. Hope I can count on you." I said with a smile.

"You bet." everyone said.

"All right! By March, we'll have this thing looking up all the girls' skirts!" Okajima said.

"What's this about up our skirts?" a girl asked.

"Kataoka! Nothing! We were talking about side skirts on cars, that's all!" Okajima cried in a panic.

"Oh, we heard you."

"Boys suck. And just who came up with the idea?"

"Who cares? They are all guilty." said a familiar voice before I heard cracking.

"Oh shit! Aika-Chan's mother side is coming out! Run!" Everyone shouted but didn't get very far since everyone including myself found ourselves on the ground twitching from the pain.

"Why did we get hit?" Nagisa and Isogai asked.

"You are guilty just the same since you two didn't stop them!" Aika-Chan and the girls said.

"What's going on?" I heard Karma ask as he walked in.

"Aika-Chan giving us a beating." I said as I slowly sat up holding my head.

"Karma, I'm skipping today. Show me a good spot." I said as I walked up to him.

"Wow, you can talk! Yeah, sure." he said and we started walking.

"Hey, you! Itona!" everyone said and i just stuck out my tongue some.