《30》

revolution is messy,
but now is the time to stand!

current time

Peggy left the police station, confusion in her eyes.

Why would he just let her go? No charges, not a thing put on her record, nothing. Why?

After that night on the roof of the school with James, she had given up. Everything that meant something to her once was now just..there. Nothing truly mattered to her.

But walking out of this police station, after she had almost committed a crime, there was a new hope that arose from deep inside of her. She felt it start in her heart, and she could've sworn she saw a glow radiating from her body as she walked down the dark street that night.

She had no idea where it came from, she just knew that it was there, and it had been sparked into a flame by the officer's hope for her.

But how would she do it? How would she regain herself from what she had once been? Would this little spark be enough to create the wildfire needed to set her aflame again?

Everything had been taken from her. Her home, her friends, her hope, her soul, her love. Everything that made her who she was, was wrongfully stolen from her, and now it all seemed unattainable. It all seemed so far away, too broken down.

But the hope that was sparked within her tonight told her she could do it.

She walked along the path, her feet leading her into the great unknown, taking every step on its own, focusing on how her they fell into the ground and the sounds that escaped from underneath the soles.

The scenery became familiar. Trees littered the sky, letting slivers of moonlight drench Peggy. There were a few sounds: a car or two driving by, ready to get home in this late hour, a bird flying from tree to tree here and there, a breeze pulling the trees' branches in circles. It was all so familiar to her.

She stood in front of a statue of a girl. The girl was holding a heart. And she was slowly layering bandages on it.

No one knows how it was broken. But it didn't matter to the artist. She just knew that she needed to fix herself.

How was she broken? It doesn't matter.

What matters now is that she was fixing herself.

And Peggy finally understood.

(408 words)