《7》

oceans rise,
empires fall.

Peggy wrapped her arms around her body protectively as she entered Thomas Jefferson's Halloween party wearing nothing but a bikini top and the shortest shorts she had ever seen in her life. 

Maria had picked out their costumes, and surprised her with the choice of 'beach babes.' 

Peggy avoided boy's stares and winks as she followed her new friend to a table filled with various clear liquids. 

"You need a drink, Pegs." Maria said as she filled up a red solo cup for herself. 

"Oh no," Peggy smiled sheepishly, "I think I'm good." 

Maria smiled at her, "Come one Peggy, live a little! It won't hurt to have a few drinks!" 

Suddenly an arm slung around Peggy's shoulders sloppily, startling her. "Well hello there, pretty lady!" 

Peggy was met face to face with the host of the party, Thomas Jefferson. He held her uncomfortably tight as she tried to wiggle her way out of his grip. 

"Maria over here is right; you won't have fun unless you get some juice in ya!" he slurred, obviously drunk. 

He handed her his cup and she cringed. "That's your cup?" 

Thomas laughed. "This is your first party, isn't it darling?" 

Peggy laughed awkwardly, her eyes staring into Maria's and begging to leave. 

"Don't mind him, sweetie. He's a very touchy person." Another man stood beside Peggy, taking Thomas' arm off of her shoulders. He grabbed a new cup and filled it half way with some sort of alcohol and the other half with sprite. 

He handed it to Peggy with a smile, "This is a good drink to start with." 

She nodded and slowly took a sip, scrunching her eyes together as it burned the back of her throat. 

Maria screamed in celebration. "Go Pegs!" 

The crowd cheered suddenly and Peggy smiled. Maybe this is where she belonged. 

She downed the rest of her cup in one go. 

(322 words)