《24》

ready to face
whatever's awaiting me.

A wind rushed through the night air, waving the humidity and smell of cut grass through Peggy's senses, opening her eyes as a shiver ran down her back.

She pulled her black cardigan around her shoulders huddling in her own warmth.

She sat on a wooden bench in front of some apartment complex. Honestly, she didn't care.

This was her home now. This wooden bench was her bed. Specks of wood poked out and clawed at her skin, making her shift uncomfortably until she finally gave up, sitting up with a sigh.

She winced as cuts on her legs were reopened on the creaky bench, hugging them to her chest.

Looking at the marks triggered memories in her mind, swarming it like a group of bees, stinging her each time she tried to pull the thought from her mind.

She out her head in her hands and held tears back.

She had no home.

She had no friends.

She had no hope.

She had no soul.

She had no love.

She felt as if the world wanted her to give up. Like it was pushing her to her limit on purpose, throwing unrecoverable traumas her way.

And that's all her mind could comprehend. Memories burned in the back of her mind and left scars, tearing her down ever so slowly and painfully.

She could practically hear her heart breaking as she let out a sob.

All she had was a bag of clothes and memories that she carried around like a burden.

She had no sense of who she was now. All of the things that made her who she was were lost amid her broken past.

And the worst part was, it was all her fault. Her mother had told her to love herself. She had failed. She had failed her mother, and that's probably what hurt her the most.

Her mother was the most important person in her life.

And she had failed her.

"Peggy?"

Peggy shot her head up and whipped around, her hair hitting the sides of her face harshly.

"John? Alex?"

"Hey, do you have a place to stay?" Alex asked, lacing his fingers with John's.

Peggy thought about it. She could lie. These were the people that ditched and manipulated her, right?

But, did they really?

"No, I don't actually."

"Would you like to stay with John and I?"

Peggy sadly and gratefully smiled as tears welled in her eyes. She nodded.

"Please."

(417 words)