《4》

tomorrow they'll be
more of us,
telling the
story of tonight. 

"No but seriously, why does your family treat you like that?" Maria asked, her laughs dying down.

Peggy paused and took a drink from the coca cola can she had in her hand. "I don't know. The only person that didn't treat me like that was my mom."

"What happened to your mom?" Maria asked.

Peggy shook her head and looked down. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Maria placed a hand on Peggy's shoulder.

Silence erupted around them as they looked up at the night sky. They sat on the roof of Miranda High School with their feet dangling off of the top.

Peggy had always been adventurous, but she'd never dare to climb to the top of her school's roof on a Friday night.

That is, unless someone came along and persuaded her to do so.

"So, what are you going to be for halloween?" Maria asked.

"I'm not sure yet. I was thinking 1700s lady, but I'm not sure I could pull off the dress." Peggy answered.

Maria laughed. "Come on! It's our senior year! We need to completely blow everyone else's costumes out of the water!"

"Well, what do you have in mind?" Peggy asked. "We don't have much time to get it done. The party is next week."

"What party are you going to?" Maria asked.

"My dad's. He always throws one on Halloween." Peggy rolled her eyes while she picked up another can of coke.

"Why don't you come to Thomas Jefferson's? It's on the same night, and I'll drive you there!" Maria said excitedly.

"I'm not sure, Maria. I've heard some bad things about those parties." Peggy started to bite her nails, a nervous habit that she has picked up from her mom.

"Come on! He's one of my best friends. He's such a good guy!" Maria begged.

Peggy looked skeptical but she nodded her head anyways. "Okay, fine. But you have to get my costume."

"No problem, hun. You'll love it." Maria smiled happily.

"I sure do hope so."

(354 words)