《12》

i may not live to see our glory,
but i've seen wonders
great and small.

Peggy sat on the roof of the school, her legs dangling over the edge and hitting the brick walls every time she kicked them back. James Madison sat next to her, sharing a coke with two straws with the girl in a yellow sweater. 

Tonight it was just the two of them, and neither of them minded that. Peggy had always taken a larger liking to James than Thomas. James was calmer, and more gentle towards Peggy. 

"So," James started, taking a sip from the coke can and then handing it to Peggy, who took a drink from the opposite straw, "When are you going to act on your crush on Maria?" 

Peggy choked on her drink, coughing into her hand. "W-What crush?" 

James rolled his eyes. "Come on, Peggy. I see the way that you look at her. You can't deny it." 

Peggy sighed. "Fine. I may have a little crush on her." she looked down to the ground and watched her feet hit the building. "But you heard her, she's straight."  

"But you never know if you never try." James shrugged. 

"I guess. But you know Maria," Peggy frowned, "If she wants you, she'll let you know. She has done no such thing lately." 

"Sure, but you can't just give up." James scooted closer to Peggy, placing his arm across her shoulders. "I may not talk that much, and I may be seen as the 'weak link' in our group, but I'm always here when you need me. And I give awesome advice." 

Peggy giggled. "Okay, so what kind of advice can you give me right now, as a love struck fool?" 

"Well," James pulled Peggy into his side, "I can tell you that you should never give up on love, no matter what the case. You never know what opportunities you're going to loose, so just take any chance you're given." 

"Wow," Peggy smiled, leaning her head on James' shoulder, "Thank you for that, You are really good at giving advice." 

"I'll always be here." he sighed, rubbing Peggy's forearm gently. "I know that Thomas and Maria can be kind of stressful at times, so, I just want you to know that I will be there when you need someone." 

"Same goes to you, Jemmy." Peggy giggled. James sighed, chuckling at the nickname he had been given. 

Even if times were rough, she always had a good friend to lean on. 

(424 words)