Chapter 1: Break Her

Jackie Simmons

Today I would meet my future husband. It was surreal because I had not obtained a chance to argue with my parents. It just happened, and I had to accept it.

Everyone in my life always told me that I was too hyper and accepting at my age, but I liked that. I loved the simple fact that I could be happy all the time even when something traumatic happened, like now. But being that emotionally controlled, happy person took a toll on me sometimes, and it impacted me in the most terrible ways.

Because of that, I harbored some anger in my heart towards my parents, but like every girl, I learned how to hide my feelings well. 

The time was very close to my engagement party, and I was nervous. What if my parents picked an old man or worse, a boring man? I disliked men who only wanted to talk about business all day. It became exhausting after a while. I understood that I was the daughter of a famous pianist and businessman. But to me, there was no need to talk about my family's organization all the time because money was not everything. Money was only a small part of our lives and a necessity that seemed to make everything simple. But in reality, it didn't. If money really made everything simple, I wouldn't have to get married right now. I wouldn't have to give up my dreams, and I definitely wouldn't have to hide the emotions that threatened to eat me alive. 

My mother and I were riding to my engagement party. I wanted to make the best of this, so I decided to do what I always do when I am having a bad day.

"Mom, can we stop off and get some ice cream?" I suggested, as I ran my hand through my long black hair.

"No, Child. Are you nuts? We have to show up to the party on time. You have to stop acting like a teenage girl and become an adult now. You are going to be married and soon, children will be on the way. Now, get out of the car. We're here," my mother demanded, exiting the limo.

Well, so much for getting ice cream.

I sighed as I got out the vehicle. Staring up at the prestigious building where my engagement would be held was not a cure of anxiety. So nonetheless, I tried not to look at it, and I hurried inside.

The place had an overall beautiful scenery with humongous chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and a clean wooden floor to walk on. Bright lights filled every corner of the whole room, which reminded me of Diwali. If I wasn't in an apprehensive mood, I would be admiring the space that looked similar to a 1800's ballroom. Everyone in the room stood around socializing and laughing, having a good time, and here I was, being so nervous that I could barely breathe.

I swallowed my emotions, trying to gather my wits and act decent. Whether you believe it or not, I was pretty clumsy. I had a habit of falling over stairs and complete nothingness, in certain situations. I really hoped I did not break or damage anything at this party. Or better yet, embarrass myself in front of my soon-to-be spouse.

"Jackie, quit twiddling around. Get over here and meet Mr. Rodriguez," my mother ordered, and I flinched, drawing myself out of my daze.

"Hi," I said timidly, looking at the ground. I would describe myself as a fairly confident person but when I talked to others, confidence seemed to disappear. I was introverted, much to my mother's dismay. 

"Look up, child," Mother chastised, yet again. Some would think my mother was harsh towards me, but I was used to her strong hand of discipline. I knew my mother loved me, but she just showed it in a different way. My mother was a strong fighter, similar to that of a lion. She meant well with everything that she did. However, the way she handled situations caused others, including myself, to be offended sometimes.

I obeyed my mother's order and looked up. When I did, my heart fluttered as I came face to face with deep brown eyes. His eyes were so deep that it seemed as though he knew all my darkest secrets. He also had jet black curly hair that I imagined was soft as silk and broad shoulders that were strong. He held a confident posture that caused everyone present with him to stare. It was like he intimidated everyone. Mr. Rodriguez was a very handsome man, and I could tell he was quite arrogant and frightening, in a way.

I reached out my hand to shake his and instead of him greeting me, he looked at my hand like it was Satan.

I dropped my hand awkwardly. I did not quite understand what I did to make him angry but instantly, my feelings were hurt. Why? I chastised myself for letting my feelings be so easily compromised; how weak it must be to not have control over your own feelings. If I was going to be married to this man, I had to keep it together. 

"I have somewhere to be. It was nice meeting you, Jackie. I must find my father," he said in a deep voice and for some reason unknown to me, I could tell he was indeed not so happy to meet me. Maybe his parents forced him to marry me, but I doubted that that was in fact the case. 

As he walked away from me, I glanced at his back. I felt like I wanted to cry but, I had to be strong. My marriage was not going to work if I acted weak.

Maybe he was having a bad day.

I convinced myself that his behavior was the effect of a bad day. That was the first mistake I made. 

Brad Rodriguez

I was sick of all my father's sick and twisted games. He told me that I would be able to pick a wife of my own but yet, here I was at an engagement party. I had repeated over and over again to my father that I wanted to choose my spouse when I got older. Better yet, I did not want a partner at all. I was a busy man, and I did not have time for love and the shenanigans that it seemed to bring.

To make things worse, the wife that I was to marry acted like a mere child- naïve and her feelings were easily hurt. She wore her heart on a sleeve, and she was already like an open book to me. From looking all around like a small girl to not being able to glance at me in the eyes, indicated she was just a small, weak girl.

She must have wanted this marriage to happen. Maybe she wanted me for my money or maybe she conceded with my father for this marriage. But I hated this agreement, and I sure as hell wouldn't pretend that I was delighted at all.

I hated the fact that I had to marry her, and I had plans to break her.

I would break her slowly.

Very, very slowly. And she wouldn't want to marry me anymore.