Chapter 30: I'm Sorry

Brad Rodriguez

I looked at Jackie, who was laying on the hospital bed. She was so still and her hands were cold, really cold. Tubes were connected to her beautiful face and her body was fitted comfortably in a hospital gown. Looking at her filled me with sorrow and I tried my best to avoid looking at her because every time I did, her voice haunted me. Every time I looked at her, I just wanted to skip time and make her wake up already.

It was nine pm and everyone had left the hospital room that we were in to go home, even her parents. But I stayed here. I couldn't sleep or eat and I had been with Jackie since she was in her coma. I was worried sick about my wife and I still am. Annie even tried to persuade me to come home but I couldn't. It would only remind me of the lovely times Jackie and I had spent together.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I glanced at my wife and I broke down, completely. A sob broke loose from my mouth and tears started to stream down my face. For the first time in years, I just sat there and I cried. Pain filled my heart and I felt so sad. If Jackie did not wake up, life was over for me. There was nothing to live for and I don't want to go back to being some stuck-up, selfish and arrogant business man. I want to be who Jackie wants me to be.

"I'm sorry," I told Jackie in her state of unconsciousness, "I should have taken good care of you. I should have watched out for you. I should have watched your back. But I didn't and for that I'm sorry. I promise that if you come back to me, I won't be such a jerk anymore. You can go wherever you want and do whatever you want. I don't care."

I wiped my tears, still in shock that I cried. Usually, I never cry over things like this. The emotions just got bottled up inside me but I think Jackie just brought out the worse in me and the best in me. I squeezed her hand, holding onto it tight like if I let go, she'd leave. I begin to think some days, that she won't ever wake up and that she won't ever get better because I have tried everything. Looking at Jackie, my eyes got wider as terror occurred right in front of my eyes.

I heard a beep come from the machine, signaling that Jackie was dead and I forgot about everything. I got up from my seat, screaming for help.

"She's dying!" I screamed and nurses and doctors filled the room. The lady who I had talked to before became totally focused.

"Mister, I'm gonna have to ask you to leave the room. We just have to work on her with some machines," the doctor directed towards me before calling out to someone else, "Alana! Get the machines ready! We're losing her!"

They gather around my wife in a hurry, as they take the defibrillator machine to try to get my wife's heart back to beating. But as I stare at the line on the machine, it continues to scare me and I start to hyperventilate.

Soon, the doctors call someone to help me get out of the room

Soon, the doctors call someone to help me get out of the room. "Sir, it's going to be okay. We've gone through things like this before. We're not gonna give up on your wife," one of the men said and I sat on a chair outside of the room. I put my hands on my head, trying to pretend that all of this was just a dream, that all of this was not really happening right now.