Chapter 12: I Can't

You guys will love this chapter and some will hate it. It just depends on how much you hate Brad, as I said before.

Jackie Simmons

"He's in a coma. He should wake up in about two weeks and if he doesn't, then that means he probably won't ever wake up. It's a miracle he's still breathing so we should thank God for that. He may or may not have brain damage when he wakes up. We'll just have to wait and see," the doctor said to my mother and father, Mr. Rodriguez and I.

I had always hated the word coma. When my grandmother had a stroke in Africa, I was just four years old but she went into a coma right after her stroke and she died. I was really close with her. Her name was Agatha and she was my dad's mother. Our whole family was so devastated and I cried for months. I loved my granny so much and her death put a toll on my mental development as a small child. So, for that reason alone, I associated the word 'coma' with death.

Telling me Brad was in a coma was like telling me he was dead already. I could not take it and I burst into sobs, just crying. I was so sad and my heart felt like it was shattered into tiny prices like broken glass. Knowing that my husband could die in the next twenty-four hours was so scary.

"Jackie, quit crying. Brad is a strong man, he will be just fine," my mother soothed as she hugged me.

"Remember grandma? What if he dies just like her?" I asked, squeezing my mother tight.

"He won't, my dear," I heard my father add in.

Gathering myself together, I released my mother from the hug to control my emotions, walking towards the hospital room where Brad was resting. I had already brought him extra bags of clothes so that when he wakes up, he'll have something to wear. But now, I do not even know if that will happen.

Entering the room, I sit down in a chair beside Brad's bedside. As I glanced at him, I thought about what would happen if I lost Brad.

My husband was strict and very mean, at times. I found myself being mad at him a lot and I chuckled thinking about it. But on the other hand, every since the incident at the party, I had gotten a taste of Brad's caring side. Waking me up to cook breakfast, relying on my afternoon dinners, or opening the door for me when I went inside a restaurant were all caring gestures that Brad had started to do for me. We had started to get along and his angry side was not as dominant as it was before but he was still possessive, very possessive. And even though I complained about it, I secretly loved it too because it showed that he cared a little.

Losing Brad would mean losing a part of my day. Almost everything evolved around him from cooking him dinner to washing his clothes. Losing Brad would also mean losing the person I loved and the ideal imagination of my love life. There was no one on this Earth who I imagined being the father of my children except for Brad. I know he is capable of loving someone because he loves Annie. He just needed to know how to trust me and everything would be alright. I was willing to wait for his trust because I love my husband.

But if I lost Brad, that would never happen.

"Brad, wake up. I know you're hurt from the past, but I promise I'll love you and I'll wait as long as it takes for your love. But just don't leave me," I whispered as tears ran down my face, enclosing his hands with mines.

Just as I said that, Annie came into the room. She called out to me and immediately, I faced her.

"Jackie!" Annie gasped, "I came as soon as I heard about the accident. How are you coming along?"

"Horrible. I feel like this is all my fault," I said, pathetically.

"Honey, it's not your fault. Don't you worry about Brad because he'll come through. He's been through worse than this," she said, confidently.