Epilogue

• Dedicated to my grandmother.

“Marley, look at it.” Marc said in amazement, squeezing my hand. “It’s huge!”

I smirked. Of course it is. Who would expect anything less from a millionaire pop-star? “Would you expect anything smaller?” I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck. He didn’t shave today. His stubble always made me laugh. Marc threatened to grow a beard and a mullet for our wedding, but then I threatened to wear a paper bag over my head. I know he can’t stand not seeing my ever-so-beautiful face.

Marc was too preoccupied checking out the mansion to pay me any attention. He gingerly moved my hands from off of him to rest on my bulging stomach. This baby has to be huge the way he’s sticking out so far.

Marc ran around the mansion like a little kid, looking at every room he could. This place was pretty darn big. I can’t believe this is where we’re going to live, where our children are going to grow up to learn and play…

“This is so insane, Marley!” Marc screamed, his statement echoing of the walls. I laughed and hobbled over to his side, grabbing onto his arm. He smiled and kissed me on the cheek. “Good thing you hooked up with the Justin Bieber. Hah, funny hearing that from your husband, huh?”

I smiled and rubbed his back with my left hand. The promise ring Justin gave me all those years ago was replaced by my wedding bands. Instead, I put it on a silver chain and wear it around my neck every day. I feel as though it would be Justin’s dying wish for me to always have the ring near my heart.

It’s been years since we last spoke, Justin and I. I guess we’ll never have the chance to, either. After that fateful night at the park, Justin went off on his world tour and I stayed put. We never talked after that. I married Malcolm, or as I got used to calling (after the government threatened me) Marc, the day I turned eighteen. We moved into a two room apartment, which was all we needed. I never stopped loving Justin, and from the songs I heard from him and the lack of girlfriends I saw he got… He never stopped either. 

A part of my heart will always belong to the boy with the terrible voice. But hey, after he turned twenty, Justin’s voice was pretty dazzling. That summer fling was the best thing that ever happened to me. It’s a shame how he died a couple weeks ago. Mobbed by a crowd of kids, teenagers, and mothers alike. He ran across the road, tripped on a pot hole, and his skull just -- plllp -- cracked open. Lots of blood. Lots of gore. Tragic accident.

But the mansion… Oh, the mansion! Bless Justin’s soul! In his will… Justin left me things! Me! The summer romance he never saw again! He left me a friggin’ mansion! I would have never thought a teenage girl from a poor single-parent home would end up dating a super-star hot-shot guy like Justin Bieber, and then inherit one of his mansions! This is all so overwhelming.

“Mommy…” Marceline tugged on my blouse, her dark brown hair still back in the braid I twisted this morning. “Are we staying here forever?”

I smiled and picked up my little girl with the brown eyes just like her father’s, “Yes sweetie… Forever.”