Chapter Fourteen

“Dad?” I whispered in the darkness. The whisper was followed by silence. Of course Dad wouldn’t be here! Being the douche bag he is, he probably forgot where we lived. Plus, we changed the locks on all the doors… Major face palm moment.

            As I stalked through the mini hallway to my living room/dining room/office, a lamp clicked on. My blood stopped cold.

            “Marley, I’ve been waiting for you.”

            A shrill scream rang from my throat and rebounded off the walls of the compact room. There was someone here. In my house. The shock of the voice and pain from screaming caused pounding in my temples, which also caused me not seeing straight. I collapsed on the ground in the fetal position, majorly overreacting to the situation.

            “Marley, get up. You look stupid.” A female voice commanded.

            I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking into the face of… Maura.

            “You… You… WHAT THE?!” I screamed, outraged at her. Why would she do this?! Scare the crap out of me! Sneak into my home! “YOU SCARED THE FREAKING DAYLIGHT OUT OF ME! GET. OUT. NOW!

            “You’re the one who left me for hours and hours. I’ve been waiting all this time. The violinist came late, but I still had to pay him for showing up. You missed the hot air balloon ride, which I also had to pay for. I spent hundreds of dollars tonight, all of which you’ve wasted.” Maura complained, placing her hands on her hips.

            “I NEVER ASKED YOU TO SPEND ALL THIS MONEY ON ME! JUSTIN AND I RAN DOWN TO THE ICE CREAM SHOP AND SPENT LESS THAN FIVE DOLLARS AND HAD A WONDERFUL TIME! YOU’RE BEING RIDICULOUS!”

            “I’m not the one screaming.” She snapped, cocking her head and squinting.

            I closed my eyes and took deep, calm breaths. “Get. Out.”

            Maura stuck her nose in the air and sulked out my door, sure to slam it with all her might.

            Sighing, I also sulked, but to my bed. I kicked off my shoes and shoved my face into my pillow, reaching immediate relaxation.

            I hate people.

~~~

“Hey, Justin!” I answered, lying upside down on my bed. Mom still didn’t show up, but whatever. We needed some space.

            “So, you want to do anything today?” Justin asked, his voice fuzzy from the bad reception in my room.

            “Actually, I was really hoping we could go ice skating…” Ice skating was a silent passion of mine, but Mom would never pay for such outlandish things. Even when Dad was still around, he hated anything cold.

            Justin snickered on the other line.  “Seriously?”

            “Shut up!” I defensively cried, blushing furiously. “But… Can we?”

            After about a minute of chucking, Justin finally answered, “Sure. I’ll pick you up in… an hour? I have to work some things through my schedule, so… Yeah. About an hour.”

            “Awesome!” I squealed, beaming through the phone, “I’ll see you then!”

            “I miss you,”