Chapter Nineteen

‘I’m afraid you’re not going to Australia.’ She said seriously.

I could tell by the look in her eyes that the expression on my face said it all. I couldn’t take that in.

‘Well, well… WHY NOT? I partially screamed.

‘I’m not letting you travel half way around the world with a family that I barely know. I’m sorry, you’re just not doing it.’ She said, sternly.

‘That’s not fair!’ I said, trying to keep calm, because blowing my head off wouldn’t help in this situation.

‘It’s very fair Alexia. This is not happening and I don’t care what you say. It’s a no I’m afraid.’

I stormed out, something I never do. My blood was boiling and I had to leave before I said something I regretted. I needed to get out of the house, fast. 

I ran upstairs, grabbed a bag and walked out.

‘Where are you going?’ I heard my mum call.

I just continued to walk out of the door, ignorantly. She was the last person I wanted to see right now. I just couldn’t understand, and I could feel my face going red with rage. 

I went to the beach, just me and my thoughts. And walked right to the unoccupied lifeguard tower. I climbed the five steps and slumped into the seat.

I pulled out my headphones and blasted Jack Johnson into my ears.

‘Everything’s better when we’re together.’

I need to see Cody, but how could I face him? I can’t let him down like this, but I need to hug him, I need to feel him next to me. I never knew it was possible to feel like this about somebody. Never looked into somebody’s eyes and melted, or felt someone’s hair and crumbled. 

It was then that I started to cry. 

My phone started to buzz, interrupting my depressing jam out to myself. 

‘They say Taylor was a good girl, never one to be late.’

I considered ignoring it, until I saw it was Cody.

‘Hey baby.’ I said, trying to make it sound like I wasn’t bawling my eyes out.

‘Are you okay?’ He said.

‘Yeah, sure!’ I lied, boy I’ve let this get bad.

‘No you’re not.’ He said, sternly.

‘And how do you know this?’ I laughed/ sobbed.

‘Because I’m behind you.’ He said.

I turned around and Cody stood there, and hung up the phone.

I wiped the mascara from under my eyes and he walked over, up the stairs and then plonked himself next to me.

‘Bummer, huh?’ He half smiled. He put his arm round me and I curled up, resting my head on his shoulder.

‘I’m so sorry babe. I don’t even know what to say.’ I said, beginning to sob like a loser again.

‘It’s not your fault is it?’ He said. ‘Don’t worry about it babe.’

‘I just… I don’t know why? I can’t understand it.’ I said.

I felt him squeeze me. It felt so nice to realize that he wasn’t mad, peeved, but didn’t blame me.

‘I’m sorry.’ I said again, truly meaning it.

My phone was still on the seat next to me, which was between Cody and me now.

‘Hey, I didn’t know you like Jack Johnson?’ He smiled.

‘Listen to the odd song of his.’ I smiled back.

‘Do you like Taylor?’ He said.

‘They say Taylor was a good girl, never one to be late.’ I sang, badly, very badly.

‘Beautiful.’ He laughed.

‘Haha, don’t even go there.’ I laughed.

‘Everything’s better when were together.’ We sang.