Chapter 32: Weird / edited

Some weeks pass and the situation between Demi and I has been, to put it in one word, weird. I think we're both struggling with how to act around each other, and we honestly haven't really talked much outside of classes. 

An open evening for new students coming to our school is coming up and we all have to do a 10 minute presentation on the final essay we have to write for English. If we do well on the presentation we get extra credit, and Jamie's struggling with her essay so she wants to do well. We decided to work on it together at the study group.

"So, how have things between you and Demi been lately?" She asks, soft enough for Demi who's sitting at her desk, not to hear. We've been typing away for a good amount of time, and I can tell Jamie's getting bored of working on the presentation. 

"Honestly, really complicated. Ever since we talked during detention, we've kind of been moving around each other. But not in a negative way, I think we both don't really know how to act." "Have you guys had any time to talk?" I shrug. 

"No, not really. I've just been going to class and going home, I'm not really looking for any opportunities to spend more time with her outside school. I'm not really sure why tho, I guess I don't really know how we move on after this."

"Want me to get another abortion so you guys can spend some more time together?" I put my hand in front my mouth and laugh. "That's true friendship right there." She chuckles.

"Have you ever talked to Noah again since the whole thing?" "Not really. He texted me a couple times but I ignored it. I don't know how to act around him." I nod. "I understand. Would you ever tell him about it?" She shrugs. "Maybe, I just still don't want any rumours about it." 

"I get that. It would just kill me for him not to know. He has to be held responsible at least a little bit." She shrugs again. "It's too complicated for now I think." 

We continue to work on the presentation, and Demi makes her round through the classroom, offering her help to any of the students. When she arrives at our desk, the hour is almost over and people are starting to pack their bags. 

"Sorry, didn't make it in time." She says while sitting on top of the desk. "It's alright, we're almost done with the presentation luckily." Jamie says. "Oh, good! Anything you guys still need help with?" "I don't know, maybe a gun so I can kill myself before the open evening?" Jamie says. We all burst into laughter. 

"You guys will be fine, trust me, I've seen some horrible presentations get the extra credit." We start packing up to head out as well. "Yeah, it'll be over before you realise." I say. Jamie shrugs and doesn't really listen to us. 

I guess the tension between Demi and I is kind of awkward? It's super hard to describe, but it's far from comfortable and playful; like it's been before our whole argument. And I can tell that Jamie's uneasy as well, cause she quickly tries to find an excuse to flee the situation and goes home. 

Demi and I end up alone in the study hall, as everyone's already gone home by now. I watch as Demi ungracefully starts packing up her stuff as well. She feels it too. 

"God, where did I put my keys?" Demi mumbles, unpacking her whole bag again to see if they're in her bag. I look around her desk and see them laying on the corner, partly hidden under some papers. 

"They're right there." I say, pointing at them with a slight grin on my face. It's nice to notice that for once it's not just me that's nervous about our chemistry together. 

She looks at me and her frown turns into a grin as well. And as if she can read my mind she says, "Must be nice to be watching me be flustered." I chuckle. "I must admit, it's kind of enjoyable." She quickly stuffs her belongings back into her backpack and swings it onto her back. 

"Well, I'm not a fan of it." We walk out of the room and she locks it as she closes the door. I shrug. "I'm not complaining." She scoffs playfully. "Well, don't get used to it honey. I'll get my composure back as soon as I've figured this whole situation out for myself." I chuckle.

"Sounds very convincing." She raises an eyebrow and turns to me. "I can look at you a tad too long and you crumble in front of me, don't act like you haven't been a nervous mess around me for the past few months." The mischief in her voice is uncanny and I feel a rush throughout my body take over me. 

"Hm, I'd like to see you try." 

I expected her to be taken aback, and I'm sure there's something inside of her that is, but she doesn't seem fazed and continues the banter without an issue. 

"You've got big talks for someone who couldn't look me in the eyes once during the entirety of a class, cause she had a certain type of dream about me." My heart skips a beat. God, I can't believe she actually caught that whole thing. I was hoping she'd just be confused and brush it off. 

I can't find a response and when I look up at Demi, there's a wicked stupid smirk on her face. 

"Alright, I don't like this game anymore." I say, and Demi laughs. "You started it." 

-

hi guys, been a while since the last edited update but i'm back!!!

comment & vote!! :)