Chapter 16: Just casual / edited

I spent the rest of the week eating myself up over what happened at the party. I don't regret anything, that's for sure. If anything, I'm glad I put myself out there. And I think Olivia is super cute, I'm definitely crushing on her a little. 

I just can't help myself from thinking about Demi. Every single time Olivia crosses my mind, Demi also pops up. The feeling I get when I see Demi is about 10 times more intense than how I feel when I see Olivia. 

I haven't talked to Olivia a lot since the party, and since today's Thursday, it's time for another study group, so I'm sure we'll catch up later.

Jamie and I are currently seated next to each other in Demi's English class, and when this is over I head to the study hall. "I've been texting the guy I made out with at Bennie's party." Jamie says, and she shows me her phone. "Oh my god, really, what's his name?" "Noah. He's a grade below us." I scroll through their conversation and it's mostly just some dry texts, but Jamie looks pretty happy. 

The bell rings, signalling class is over and we pack our stuff. "I'm going to study group, so I'll see you later." I say, before giving Jamie a hug goodbye. "Bye Ms, see you tomorrow!" Jamie says before leaving the classroom. 

I know Demi's going to the study hall after this as well, so I decide to wait for her to wrap things up in the classroom. "How did you like the study group last week?" Demi asks me, when she notices me waiting for her. "Super helpful actually, and Olivia's really nice." If only she knew. "Yeah, she is, isn't she?" I nod. "We're getting along pretty well." 

"That's nice to hear. When's your next Geography test?" "I'm retaking the exam in two weeks. Last week was super helpful already, so I have a pretty good feeling about it." Demi nods and finishes up with packing her stuff. 

"I'm really glad this is helping you. I advise this extra study group to many students, but there's barely anyone who comes here voluntarily." We make our way through the school and we have some small-talk. 

My heart's pumping in my chest. At the party I thought my crush on her had, at least, watered down a bit because of Olivia, but if anything, it's back where it was, if not bigger. Something about her is just mesmerising. 

We enter the study hall and I notice Olivia at the same desk as last week. I walk towards her, and she's reading with her headphones on again, so she doesn't notice me at first. When I put down my bag she looks up and smiles.

"Hi." She says, while taking her headphones off. "Hi." I say as I get some stuff out of my bag. "How are you?" She asks, and I sit down next to her. "I'm good, how about you?" "Good. How's Jamie? Did she recover from her hangover?" I chuckle. "Yeah, she's alright. She's still talking to that guy she was with though. Wasn't expecting that." Olivia chuckles. "Good for her." 

There's an elephant in the room. I'm pretty sure we both feel it, but I'm too scared to begin about it. "You wanna go through some of the exam material?" She asks, brushing over the tension. "Yeah, that'd be great." 

Right when I think we've brushed off the slight awkwardness between us, Olivia decides to break the ice. "By the way, I wanted to talk to you about the party and about what, you know, happened. Between us." I look up from my book and I can tell she's a little uncomfortable as well. I think it's kinda cute. 

"Yeah, me too." She sighs. "Alright good. Cause, you know, I think you're really cute and all. But I was a little too drunk, and things went a little fast." "I totally agree." I see some relief fall off her shoulders. "I think you're really cute, but I'm not looking for anything serious. And I wouldn't want to lead you on." I say. "I'm so glad you said that. That's exactly what I thought." 

We both relax into our seats. "And honestly, I don't want to sound like I'm not into you or anything," she says. "Cause I think you're hot." I feel my cheeks start to flush. "But I just don't want any real feelings to develop. Just casual." I nod. "Agreed." I try to hide my cheeks behind my hair, but I know she can tell. 

She grins and takes the attention away from us and starts reading some of the material. She's super intelligent. Apart from Geography, it's also in the way she's able to convey information and explain it so I actually understand. And she's super mature when it comes to her emotions as well. 

I can tell her and Demi can get along. Olivia's a really easy person to talk to, and if she interests you, she can make you feel super special without necessarily doing anything different. I feel like Demi's kind of the same, even though I haven't really build up a personal relationship with her. 

It's been weeks of crushing on Demi, and I've gotten further with Olivia in a week. I wonder if Olivia would be able to tell how much I'm into Demi, once we'd get to know each other better.

"How's it going here girls?" Demi does a round to check up on everyone. "Good, Liv's really helping me out." "That's good. Think she's gonna do well on her next test?" She asks Olivia. "I think she'll be absolutely fine. I think it's a matter of weeks before she'll tutor you." She says, making Demi laugh. 

"Keep it up ladies." She says, before continuing her round through the study hall. We get up at 6, say goodbye to Demi and we head out. "I'm glad we talked. See you next Thursday?" I nod and give her a hug before she heads to her car. 

comment & vote