Today Was Supposed To Be Easy

I walked into the school and instantly eyes fell on me. I felt like I was going to throw up. Groups of people looked at me then whispered to each other. I just tried to ignore it by walking as quickly as I could to my first hour, environmental chemistry.

I sat in the classroom waiting on the bells to ring and for class to start. Too many minutes to count passed, finally the last bell rang and the teacher, Ms. Rey entered with a thick (thicc) stack of papers in hand. "Alright, everyone up! We're getting new seats!" Students rolled their eyes and groaned as they rose from their seats. The whole process took about five minutes. I got put next to a football player that is not smart at all, even better we were put in the way back of the classroom, great. I am not good with chemistry, of course I get put in the back, next to a brick wall. Wonderful. I had no idea what was happening in this class curriculum wise. In fact, I went through my morning classes getting stacks and stacks of homework from the days I've missed. I can expect the same from my after noon classes. This was not good.

Lunch time arrived and I wasn't really sure where I was going to sit, I wasn't completely sure if I had friends. When I walked into the lunch room more eyes followed me. I took a seat at the table Emma and Jessica usually sat at. Soon enough Emma and Jessica walked up to the table with their lunch trays in hand. "Well if it isn't Kathrine, you're alive. That's surprising, so how is life with your new rich daddy!?" Emma spat. Is she angry with me? For what? I didn't know what to say. "My advice..Don't get too comfortable. They'll give up on you soon, they're going to give you back to Rachel, everyone comes back. They're lying...right? "Have nothing to say? You can't defend yourself, you and me both know it's true. We'll see you soon." Emma grinned. I can feel my emotions rising within, my throat feels like it's closing up. I need to leave. I tried getting up but my body wouldn't move, I was frozen. I eventually found the strength to push myself away from the table, more eyes fell on me. I ran out of the cafeteria to the bathrooms down the hall.

When I got into the bathroom I leaned up against the sink trying not to completely break down, my walls were crumbling, again. Today was supposed to be easy. I burst into tears trying to breath, it was getting difficult. I crouched down holding onto the sink for support as I cried into my knees. I heard kids yelling and laughing from the hallway, lunch must be over. I took more time in the bathroom to clean up my face. By the time I finished the hallways were quiet again. I creeped out of the bathroom seeing if anyone was around, nobody. I quickly walked to my next class, Geometry.

When I walked into the classroom everyone was seated and quiet. My teacher, Mr. Ware looked over at me while in mid classroom discussion. How long was I in the bathroom? "Where have you been? Do you have a pass?" I shake my head. "Kathrine, class started about 13 minutes ago, I marked you as absent." He explained. I looked down and took my seat, this day is a mess. I need school to be over! For the remainder of class I was zoned out, lost in my thoughts. Lin keeps saying he wants me to stay a secret, why? Does he not want me? Were Emma and Jessica right? The bell rang and everyone fled into the hallways. My next class was language arts then after that my favorite class, my getaway, theatre.

Language arts class was fine, we watched a documentary about teenagers and how long we're on our phones. I didn't know people were really addicted to them. I walked down the back hallway that lead to the theatre. I walked in and took a seat in the house. Someone came up behind me and shook my shoulders. "Hey Kat! Where have you been? The group had to perform the skit without you. It was horrible" she laughed, it was my friend Autumn. We've been in theatre classes together since eighth grade and we're always partners on skits, we bring the comedy relief to this theatre class. "I was suspended. I would've been here if I could." I chuckled and gave her a sincere look, I really wouldn't miss our performances for the world. "Wait...are the rumors true then?" Autumn whispered. The what? "Uh, what rumors?" My heart fell to my toes. "Someone started a rumor that you and Ryan were caught having sex in the boys bathrooms then you went bonkers on the principal and he suspended you, everyone is saying you're like a sex crazed freak. Are you?" I couldn't believe she just asked me that, she knows me! She's known me since sixth grade. "What the hell? No! No. I'm not...some sex crazy teenager. Ryan has been trying to do shit to me all school year, I was helpless. Who started the rumor?" I wasn't going to cry, I'll save my tears for my pillow. "I have no idea. I'm sorry." She turned to look towards the stage. "Alright everyone quiet! Today we start a new unit. Everyone will be assigned a script, once you pick your scene partners. We will perform maybe the end of next week or the beginning of the week after next." My theatre teacher, Mr. Tagni announced. My group was automatically selected, my usual group was the dream team. We got our scripts and began highlighting and reading through. This class always relaxed me...even when your finding out that your whole school started a rumor about you. The theatre is a magical place, everyone should experience it.