Chapter 25 "Lies In Wait"

With Shaylynn going to be busy, Squad 3 heads back to the Firehouse.
Tony pulls the Squad truck into the stall when a call comes in....

Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, massive apartment building fire, 1633 West Madison Street

Squad watches as everyone else runs out into the stalls, loads up, and they quickly take off with lights and sirens blaring.
When the crews arrive at the fire, they see there's other Fire crews already there.
Boden starts yelling out to his Lieutenants.
Casey and Severide start yelling out to their crews.
Getting ready to head into the fire, shots ring out hitting the Squad truck.
All the Firefighters hit the ground.
"What the hell is going on?" Capp yells, "This is the second time today someone has shot at us!"
"Does anyone know where the shots came from?" Boden radios out.
"They came from one of those buildings across the street!" one of the Engine guys radios.
More shots ring out, this time aimed at the Squad guys.
"Squad! Take cover behind something!" Boden radios to them.
All the guys take cover behind the Squad truck.
Boden radios to the other Firehouses that they'll have to tackle the fire themselves until they get this problem under control.
Boden pulls out his phone....
"Shaylynn"
"It's Boden. Shots are being fired at us! They seem to be concentrating on Squad!" he tells her.
"Where are you?" Shaylynn asks.
"1633 West Madison Street. I can't let Squad go in until this problem is solved and they're needed. We're at Senior apartment complex" Boden tells her.
"I'm on my way!" Shaylynn tells him hanging up.
While waiting on Shaylynn, more shots ring out, hitting the Squad truck and things around it.

Sixteen minutes later, Butch is dropping Shaylynn off where the Firefighters are. He takes off in her car, over to the buildings where the shooter is suppose to be.
Shaylynn climbs up onto the Squad truck, Severide sees she has a sniper rifle.
"Where did you get that?" he yells at her.
"Out of Butch's truck!" she yells back at him.
She lays down and starts looking through her scope, more shots ring out that end up hitting a light post along with a tree.
Shaylynn fires back, "Could that be Butch firing?" Capp yells at her.
Severide hits Capp on the arm, "He wouldn't be firing at me!" Shaylynn yells at Capp.
"Butch, are you over there yet?" Shaylynn radios to him.
"Yeah! Where should I go?" he radios to her.
"Last building by the empty lot. Coming from the roof" she radios back.
"Copy that!" Butch radios.
Shaylynn lies in wait.
Five minutes go by, nothing. No shots, nothing from Butch.
"Do you have the person?" Shaylynn radios.
"Copy that! All clear!" she hears Rob, who is breathing heavily, radio to her.
"It's all clear!" she yells down to Boden and Squad.
"Squad, get in there!" Boden tells them.
All of Squad starts running toward the complex, Severide making a quick turn to look back at Shaylynn and smiles at her.
Butch drives back around with Shaylynn's car. Behind him is Rob driving Butch's truck with Dan, Dave, and the guy they captured.
Butch gets out and gives Shaylynn her keys, she follows him back to his truck.
Butch gets in while she looks inside, she sees the guy's face is all bloody, "Really guys?" Shaylynn asks them.
"What? He ran!" Dan says to her.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "Did he say anything to you?" she asks Butch.
Butch looks at Rob, "Tell her!" Rob tells him.
"He said he was aiming at Kelly" Butch tells her.
"Did he say why?" she asks.
"Something about a Vince Keeler. Do you know who that is?" Butch asks her.
Shaylynn shakes her head 'no'.
"Then you better be asking Kelly" Butch says, "I assume you want me to take this guy to District 21?" Butch asks Shaylynn.
"Yes. Tell Trudy, Sergeant Platt, that you're bringing the guy in for Hank" she tells him.
"We'll take care of it!" Butch tells her, putting the window up and driving off.
Shaylynn stays back out of the way of the Firefighters, but wants to stick around just in case that guy wasn't alone.
Looking around she sees all the seniors who are going to be homeless, she pulls her phone out.
"Biggs"
"I need a favor" Shaylynn tells him.
"What is it?" Biggs asks.
"I'm standing outside a senior complex that is basically burning to the ground. They need somewhere to go. Call the Mayor, remind him it's election year and have him call the owner of the Bulls and that the use of the United Center is needed urgently" she tells him.
"I don't think the owner of the Bulls will believe that" Biggs tells her.
"If he's at the training facility, tell the Mayor to tell him to look out his window! He'll be able to see the complex!" Shaylynn tells him.
"I'll see what I can do" Biggs tells her.
"Thank you, Biggs!" Shaylynn says.
"Yeah! Yeah! Stay out of trouble!" he tells her.
"You know me!" she says.
"Yes, I do know you! That's why I said it!" Biggs tells her, laughing.
"Goodbye, Biggs!" Shaylynn tells him, hanging up.

An hour later, the fire is under control.
The complex didn't burn to the ground, but it's a total loss.
Truck and Squad head back to their trucks, putting away their gear. Severide sees that Shaylynn has an uneasy look on her face.
He walks over to her, "What's wrong?" he asks.
"The guys were able to get a little bit of information out of the guy they caught. He said he was aiming for you" she tells him.
"Did he say why?" Severide asks her.
"He mentioned a Vince Keeler. Do you know who that is?" Shaylynn asks him.
"Severide!" Boden yells at him.
"Gotta go! We'll talk later!" Severide tells her, gives her a kiss, and starts walking away.
Walking over to Boden, Severide is so pissed he can barely see straight.