Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

            “It’s… beautiful.” I managed to say through the guilty tears. Justin must think they’re tears of overwhelming joy. I cupped his face with my hands. That poor, naïve boy. He cupped my face in return, beaming.

            “I’m so happy you had to pee.” Justin laughed.

            “Me… Me too.” I weakly smiled. I’m breaking this guy’s heart soon, and he’s totally oblivious. How can I do it? How?

            We sat there kissing for a while when his phone suddenly started vibrating.

            “Well, that sure is a major cock-block.” Justin mumbled with a wink, answering it.

            I punched him playfully. He knows I’m not like that.

            Justin’s smile turned to a frown as he listened to the other side of the phone. After some arguing, he hung up and threw the phone on the rubber ground. It bounced to the side, hopeless.

            “What happened?” I asked softly, caressing his face with my hand.

            He sighed, wrapping his arms around me. “That was my agent. I have to leave for a concert. Then another concert. And another concert. And another…”

            “When?” I asked, my heart stuck in my throat.

            “Tomorrow.”

            “Oh my God. Justin.” I started to cry, cupping his face in my hands. “Don’t leave me.”

            His eyes sparkled with tears that refused to fall. “I have to. This is who I am. Those girls in the audience… They’re who I am now. They’re everything to me. But not fifty million screaming fans could amount to how much you mean to me, Marley. If I could change it, I would. You know I would.”

            I cried harder, my whole body shaking with the sobs. “Justin… I love you…”

            “I love you, too…” He said, squeezing me tight. “I want you to come with me.”

            “How? I have school next month.” I managed to say through sobs.

            “You can be taught on the tour bus. I’ll hire a private tutor. We can be together all over the country. We can make this work, okay? We can.”

            “No we can’t. This is just some summer-fling.” The words sounded more harsh than I intended.

            “Don’t say that Marley! We’re meant for each other! I’ve never loved a girl like you! You’re real! Do you have any idea how hard it is to find someone who is real? It’s almost impossible now a days…”

            “But what if we aren’t meant for each other?” I asked through more sobs. “What if one of us did something stupid and we never wanted to speak to each other again?”

            “Nothing you could ever do could take me away from you. I hope you feel the same. And you never have to worry, I’ll never leave your side for someone else. Ever.”

            “But what if we got married and I slept with some other guy?” I asked viciously, wanting some sort of negative reaction. I don’t know why.

            “Why would you ever do that?” Justin asked, frowning. “Wouldn’t I be enough for you?"

            “Of course,” I reassured him, “But you never know what might happen… Things might change… You might meet new people, or see other people you haven’t seen for so long…” I lowered my head, shame covering my face.

            “What do you mean?” Justin asked, confused. I opened my mouth to finally admit to my wrongdoings, but he put a finger to my lips. “Never mind. I totally understand.” A warming smile crossed his lips and I nearly broke down. “Not like it matters, anyways. These rings we have…” He curled his left ring finger around mine as if it were a pinkie-promise, “they mean we’ll be together. Forever.”

            “Justin…” I gulped. “I don’t believe in forever.”

            “What?”

            “I don’t think we’ll be together forever. I think you’re going to move, or I’m going to move, or one of us will commit suicide, or I’ll turn lesbian, or you’ll be assassinated. Or one of us will ruin the relationship by doing something meaningful with someone else.” My eyes were wild, my hand squeezing his.

            Justin looked worried. “Why are you saying all this? D… Do you think I did something?”

            “What? No!... Justin… You’re so sweet and innocent…” I smiled, tears coming fast and plentily.

            “I’m older than you,” He weakly smiled, knowing the mood has changed from when he gave me the ring.

            “Justin… When you were in the comma… I told you things. Things you don’t remember. Things that could prob—”

            “I remember everything you said.” Justin mumbled, the quietest I’ve ever heard him.

            My heart stopped, then raced like a rabbit. “Everything?” I faintly squeaked.

            He nodded.

            “Justin, I do love you. This ring… It reminded me of all the fun we’ve had together these past few months. I love you more than you will ever know (A/N: It’s actually a great song. Very fitting. Look it up.) and I never want to let you go. But Justin… I have to.”

            “But… Why?” He chocked out, a tear threatening to fall from his eye.

            “Sometimes you have to let go of things you love for them to go on to greater things.” Justin’s eyes looked like a puppy’s. “An old friend once told me that. Never made sense to me, but maybe you’ll get it. It seemed fitting.”

            “I don’t want to not be with you.” Justin whimpered. “I love you.”

            “Then let’s get married, Justin! Jesus! What can we do?” I screamed, getting overwhelmed and suffocated by the gravity of this situation.

            “Marley…” He gave me a hug and held me tight. I never wanted to let go. He never wanted to let go. I could’ve fallen asleep in the comfort of his embrace.

            But one of us had to let go.

            “Justin, I’ll always keep this ring. I promise. No matter what happens. No matter how many other guys I meet or date or do anything with… I’ll always remember you as the one no one will believe I had a chance with. The one that was doomed to failure, but that was ignored for some fun. The one I love more than just a celebrity crush.” I smiled.

            Justin and I both stood up and stretched our stiff bodies. “Before I go… And all of this is… Over…” Justin started, referring to our relationship.

            I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. He placed his hands on my hips. We started dancing a slow dance, him humming, me humming an octave higher. The scene was perfect. He was perfect. We were perfect.

            “This is perfect moment,” Justin whispered in my ear.

            I smirked, resting my chin on his shoulder. For some talentless pop-star, he sure could change my world.