Coward

"HELP! I NEED HELP!" A voice cried from outside. Carol burst through the door with panic written across her face.

     "Michaela, they need you at the infirmary." I quickly nodded and ran past Carol, taking off down the street. Everyone dodged me as I shoved past them, trying my best to get to the infirmary as quickly as possible. By the time I got there, everyone was in full blown panic.

     "What do we got?" I asked, shoving past everyone. My eyes instantly widened at the sight of Scott, lying unconscious on a gurney with blood pouring from his head.

     "Aiden shot a walker, it had a grenade on it." Eugene answered. "Sent everyone flyin'." I ran up to Scott and examined his head, it was beyond my care.

     "SOMEONE GET DENISE, NOW!"

     "What about Pete?"

    "FUCK PETE,  GO GET DENISE!" Eugene took off running out the building and I grabbed some gauze and gloves, pressing it against the cut in his head.

     "DADDY!" Samantha cried.

     "SOMEONE GET 'ER OUT OF HERE, NOW!" Glenn instantly grabbed Samantha and dragged her outside.

     "Is he gonna be alright?" One Alexandrian asked.

     "He's suffered a severe head injury, only time will tell when Denise is done workin' on 'em." I laid my hand on Scott's shoulder. "Stay with me, Scott. Ya gotta stay with me, stay for Samantha. She's safe, ya got 'er to safety, now ya gotta watch 'er grow." Denise burst into the infirmary sprinting over to me and Scott.

     "Alright, everyone who isn't a doctor or P.A. needs to get out right now!" Denise snapped. "NOW!" Everyone exited the building, leaving Denise and I alone. "Michaela, I need you to step away." I backed away and took his hand into mine as I stood off to the side. Denise reached over and pulled a light over to the table, turning it on to examine his head. "He's cut some veins, but he'll live. Michaela, go check his medical chart for anything important." I didn't move. "Michaela!" I glanced up at Denise and ran over to the filing cabinet, digging through the files. Spencer Monroe, Sasha Williams, Scott Wright. I quickly yanked out his folder and brought it over to Denise.

     "No health history, AB-positive." I read out loud.

     "Thank you, can you go get a suture kit?" I nodded and grabbed a kit and brought it back to Denise. "Thank you, now, I know this is gonna be hard on you, but I need you to step out."

     "What? N-No, no I'm not-"

     "You're too close to the patient. If something goes wrong, I don't need you panicking or getting in the way. I can save him, but I need you to get out and give me some space." I slowly backed away towards the door.

     "Please, do everythin' ya can."

     "I will." Denise nodded and I exited the infirmary where Glenn, and Eugene were waiting outside to hear the news.

     "She's workin' on 'em." Glenn and Eugene sighed. "Where's Noah?" No one responded as they all looked away. "Glenn, where is he?"

     "I tried to stop him." Glenn whimpered. "Him, Nicholas, and I- we were stuck in a revolving door, surrounded by walkers. Nicholas was on the other side of us. Eugene drew most of them away with the van and I was supposed to break the window out, crawl through, get the rifle, and we'd run for it, but Nicholas panicked. We just had to leave Aiden behind because he was stuck on some metal poles, and Nicholas was wanting to get out as fast as he could." I could feel my heart begin to plummet into my stomach. "He couldn't wait, he forced himself through the opening and the walkers grabbed Noah. I tried to save him, Michaela, I swear to God, I tried. I had to watch as he got torn apart by those things."