Medical Emergency

"HE'S BEEN BIT!" Denise panicked. "WHAT DO WE DO? WHAT DO WE DO? WHAT DO WE-"

    "DENISE, SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I snapped. "Yellin' ain't gonna get us anywhere! Now, do we have an estimated time of incident?"

     "About five minutes ago." Aaron answered as he entered the room. "I found him on a scouting mission and brought him back. There were a few roamers at the gate. We took them out, but we missed one. He got bit just before I had the chance to kill it."

     "Good. Everyone, grab an end and put him on the surgery table, now!" Everyone complied and grabbed his extremities and placed him on the surgery table. I ran over to the desk and reached under it, grabbing a machete.

     "What the hell is that?" Pete asked.

     "A machete. When it comes to drugs, ya gotta protect 'em. Don't know when a druggy will come bargin' in tryin' to rob us." I returned to the table and reached for a towel, shoving it into the man's mouth. "Bite on this."

     "What are you doing?" Aaron asked.

     "Savin' this man's life. Pete, pull his bad arm, and keep it tight, Denise hold his other arm, Aaron, keep on his legs." Everyone did as I instructed. I grabbed Pete's belt and yanked it off him and tied it around the man's arm tightly. "Everyone ready?" Everyone nodded. SLICE! I raised the machete above my head and slammed it down on the man's arm.

     "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! The man muffled a scream as his arms and legs began to flail, tears streaming from his eyes.

    "HOLD 'EM STILL!" SLICE!

     "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"  The man's body relaxed as his eyes rolled to the back of his head, slipping into unconsciousness. PING! Pete stumbled back as the arm disconnected from the body. "Pete, finish 'em up. Stop the bleedin' and close 'em up. Start 'em on an IV, antibiotics, and painkillers."

     "He's gonna need a transfusion, he lost a lot of blood." Denise pointed out.

     "Take my blood."

     "But we don't-"

     "He's AB-positive, I'm A-positive, take my blood." Denise nodded and ran to get a needle and transfusion bag.

     "I hope you know what you're doing, Michaela." Pete commented. I nodded. "How did you know to cut off the limb?"

     "Rick saved someone's life cuttin' off a bit limb. You can save 'em if you can cut the limb off and if it's in a timely manner." Denise ran up to me, taking my arm into hers as she pushed the needle into my arm. Once the bag was filled, she returned over to the man and set up the transfusion. I looked over at Aaron and chuckled as I saw him sitting in a chair with his head between his knees. "You alright, Aaron?"

     "Yeah." Aaron responded looking over at me, his face splattered with blood.

     "Ya sure? You're lookin' kinda green."

    "I, uh... I think I need to lie down." I walked over to the medicine cabinet and dumped two pills into my hand.

     "Take these." I instructed as I handed him the pills and a cup of water.

     "What is it?"

     "Ondansetron."

     "What will it do?"

     "It'll keep ya from upchuckin' on the floor I cleaned this mornin'." I smiled. "I already got a blood mess on it, don't need your breakfast on it, too." Aaron nodded and tossed the pills back. "I'm gonna run Aaron home." I said turning to Pete.