Father Daughter Talk

"Ya can't be serious." I growled at Rick. "You're gonna let 'em all go? After what happened last time they went out together?"

     "We have to keep our cover-" Rick began.

     "We gotta keep our people alive! We send 'em out, they won't come back."

     "Yes they will. They're strong, smart, they can handle themselves. We gotta keep our cover so they won't see that we've got a backup plan for these people."

     "I still think it's a bad move. Aiden is a fuckin' prick, he's gonna get 'em killed. And Nicholas, he doesn't talk much and he has that constant resting dumbshit face. Aiden, he'll tell ya what he's thinkin', he's outspoken more than we want 'em to be, but Nicholas... I don't trust 'em, Rick. It's only a matter of time that Aiden or Nicholas gets the others into some serious shit."

     "You're probably right, Aiden and Nicholas don't sit right with me. But, I have to do it." Rick sighed. "Just trust me on this, okay?" I gently nodded and exited the house, walking up the street to the armory where everyone was gearing up to leave. Noah loaded a silenced pistol and held it out to Eugene.

     "Oh, no, thank you." Eugene declined.

     "Just take it." Nicholas grumbled.

     "Come on, you got to protect yourself." Noah insisted.

     "Not if I don't go." Eugene refused.

     "We're not driving all that way so we can just drive back with the wrong shit." Aiden scoffed.

     "It's a dozen of these." Eugene held up a black box. "They are consistent in appearance across manufacturers. The shit will be right. I will install said shit. Then the grid will be fully operational again." Noah handed the gun to Eugene, forcing him to take it.

     "You got everything?" Reg asked Aiden.

     "First aid kits, yellow pages." Aiden smiled. "Glenn made a checklist. We're good, I swear."

     "I know. I'm just a worrier. That's how that wall wound up around us." Aiden bent over and kissed Deanna on the cheek.

     "Love you." Deanna smiled. Aiden nodded and turned to Reg.

     "Take care, Dad." I walked over to Noah and gave him a hug before doing the same to Scott and Glenn, before finally going to Eugene, embracing him in a tight hug.

     "I know you're scared, but ya gotta be strong." I whispered in his ear. "Ya gotta make it home, all of ya do."

     "We will." Eugene assured.

     "Keep an eye on the others for me. I don't trust Aiden or Nicholas. If it comes down to it, shoot 'em. Shoot 'em and leave 'em for the walkers."

     "Michaela-"

     "I know, but I'm sayin' if it has to be done, do it. Otherwise, they'll kill you, too." I backed away from Eugene and he gave me a somber nod.

     "Daylight's burning." Aiden called out. "Let's go." I watched as everyone climbed into the van, driving off down the street and out the gates.

     "Michaela, come in, over." Pete's voice called out on my radio.

     "Go, Pete." I sighed, placing the radio to my lips.

     "I need you in the infirmary to assist in a procedure."

     "Copy that, be there in five, over."

     "Busy day already?" Reg smiled at me.

     "Yeah."