Fatalities

Spells used in this chapter:  

Avada Kedavra (ah-VAH-duh ke-DAV-ruh) - Killing curse; Causes instant death to the victim wherever it hits on the body.

Everte Statum (ee-VER-tay STAH-tum) - Throws the victim backward, similarly to if they'd been thrown.

Expecto Patronum (ecks-PECK-toh pah-TROH-numb) - This is a defensive spell which will conjure a spirit-like incarnation of their positive emotions to defend against enemies; it can also send messages to other witches or wizards. It seems one's Patronus will take the form of something important to the caster, and can change when one has undergone a period of heightened emotion.

Expelliarmus (ex-PELL-ee-ar-mus) - Causes whatever the victim is holding to fly away

Lumos (LOO-mos) - Creates a narrow beam of light that shines from the wand's tip, like a torch.

Reducto (re-DUK-toh) - Breaks objects. In stronger usages, disintegrates them.

Revelio (reh-VEL-ee-oh) - Reveals hidden objects.

As the six students reached the Ministry of Magic, they noticed it was a little too quiet. Phoenix was walking in the front with Harry when she stopped suddenly. She held her arm out in front of Harry's chest, stopping him as well. Everyone behind them ran into them at the sudden halt.

"Watch it Weasley, that's my foot." Neville whispered.

"I didn't step on it!" Ginny retorted.

"Ginny, honey, there are two Weasley's here." Phoenix whispered sarcastically. "Now all of you shut up."

"Why? What's wrong?" Harry asked.

Phoenix pulled her wand out of her boot and narrowed her eyes at the darkness in front of them. Harry took this as a sign so he pulled out his wand as well. "Revelio!" Phoenix said softly. Soon, a barrier spell dropped and a hoard of about twenty Dementors were revealed. They all started flying towards them.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" Harry and Phoenix yelled simultaneously. Their Patronus' both shined in front of them, creating a shield. Harry noticed that Phoenix' Patronus was a wolf. Probably after her Animagus. Harry thought. The Patronus shield grew in size because of the fact that the twins were using their Patronus together, it made the spell even more powerful.

The Dementors bounced off of the shield like rubber and started flying away as the Patronus shield started to send out a pulse. Soon, they all flew away and were out of the six' way. Phoenix and Harry lowered their wands and the shield dissipated. Harry almost fainted from the power of the spell and Phoenix was taking deep breaths, trying to keep her balance.

Luna helped Phoenix steady herself before they kept walking. "Lumos!" Hermione muttered. Everyone followed suit with the same spell as they traveled down to the Department of Mysteries. As the lift opened, Phoenix stared down the dark and quiet hall. She gulped before continuing down the hallway.

Harry grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. She glanced over at him and saw the same look in his eyes that she had in hers. Harry gave Phoenix a reassuring smile, even though he didn't feel very reassured himself.