Chapter 2: Jericho

Everything was groggy when I find myself waking up, ache in my body has me stiff and sore.

I didn't push my self that hard yesterday did I?

I held my pounding head in my hands as the familiar feeling of bile started to rise up my throat. Running to the toilet down the hall I empty my stomach of last nights tea. I groan painfully as I feel a overwhelming dizziness.

Warm hands are suddenly tying my hair back, softly murmuring that its ok.

I flush the toilet and splash water onto my face, which helps for a split second to relieve the hot feeling on my head.

"Another Migraine?"

I nod.

"You got over your last one only a month ago"

I look at my concerned Mum through the mirror, "Guess I'm unlucky"

"Jamie" she sighs, "You need to look after your self, you're pushing your self to hard on your runs. Rest up today please"

"You know I need to take Jericho for a run"

Mum shakes her head, "Not today let your brother do that when he gets home"

My eyes light up, Dad and Jordan work at Dads company in Auckland, they stay there for a few weeks and then come home for two. I don't get to see them as often as Mum and I would like but they are supporting the family. Mum use to work with him, but when I was born they opted for her to stay here with me, so she has her own flower shop here in Whangarei. Which turns out great for her, our little house is surrounded by the pukenui forest that's full of beautiful flowers.

"I'll  be out in 10" I reply leaning against the bathroom wall, She walks over to me and puts her hand to my forehead, "You're not burning up, have some meds and drink plenty of water" She rubs my forehead softly. She places a soft kiss to my cheek and gets up. She smiles sympathetically before she goes to walk out but stops quickly and looks at me, "Oh and put some migra stick thingo on your temple, that worked last time"

"Ok"

She nods and walks out of the bathroom pleased with my obedience, sighing I slide down the wall and hold onto my throbbing head.  I blink rapidly to try and ease the stinging senstaion in my eyes, but it doesn't help.

I've been getting migraines ever since I was little, we don't know why I get them, I just randomly get them. I have them for a week at a time, I've tried medication but they don't work most of the time. So I just have to live with the pain.

I make my way back to my bedroom and swallow done some pills and rub Migra Stick along the sore temple on my forehead, putting extra underneath my eyes to reduce the swelling and constant sting.

Making my way to the dinning area I rub my head some more.

"I was going to set up breakfast outside but it started raining"

"That's a shame, would have been nice"

Mum hums, her eyes flickering over the paper in her hand. Licking her pointer finger to turn the page, her glasses on the brink of her nose she looks almost like she had aged.

My mum is someone who would be called lucky, shes in her 40s but she looks younger, like shes in her 30s. Something my mum is proud of, she takes great pride in her appearance. She always has the shiniest looking hair, I don't know what she does but shes able to keep her blonde hair looking perfect in any situation. With make up that's always on point, I could count on one hand how many times I've seen her without make up. But even when she isn't shes still very beautiful.