Chapter 43

Ariana's POV

Woah. The Castle was giant on the outside, mysterious on the inside, and I felt amazed just by looking at all those different paths. It made me think of one of those medieval mansions that we see in historical movies. Why would Zac choose anything like that to imprison the victim? I would never understand his logic anyway.

Miley only told me to save everyone, but how could I do that? With the amount of knowledge I acquired in my lifetime, which is practically nothing, I would never find them. Balling my hands into fists, I forced myself to stop running for a while and think carefully. I've always been the bubbly one instead of the smart one, and it felt weird to put my neurons into work. What could I do?

My face lightened up when I thought about the two guards who were still locked in an underground room. Maybe they could be useful to me... It was my last option; I didn't have any time to find Bea's room by pure chance. Taking out Miley's earpiece hurriedly, I clicked on "Play" and managed to retrieve the last conversation between Nick and Selena. The secret agents were discussing the guards' location, and luckily, I found the prisoners without any problem. Normally I don't have the sense of orientation, but this time, it was surprisingly different.

"Hello?" I screamed through the door, earning nothing more but a few muffled murmurs. "I know you two are in here!" I warned. "Now listen to me carefully, because I won't repeat myself. I need to know where Beatrice is locked, and I need to find her the fastest way possible. Can we make a deal with that?" I pulled my ear against the door, crossing my fingers for at least a response.

"We don't negotiate,"  refused the one with a strong British accent. "We just want to get the fuck out of this wicked place because it smells like horse poop and a weird aroma that I can't identify. Plus, we're in the darkness since what seemed like centuries, and I can't wait to get out of here."

I rolled my eyes hearing their endless complaints. They were wasting my precious time, and I couldn't afford that. "Listen, cowboys, I know Jill Yellow engaged you both to do that dirty job, and I know you'll always listen to his stupid comments, but don't you have a heart? I don't know who you are, but Nick said that you looked pretty young, and I find you foolish to waste your time in such a dangerous organization instead of enjoyed life. I have nothing to say to you, and I'm gonna find this girl alone even if I'm not a special agent."

I was about to turn away with a dramatic hair flip like I do when I'm upset, but a voice which I recognized instantly stopped me. "Ariana?" He said. "Is... is that you?"

I immediately stopped walking, and my skin almost turned white. Since when was he a guard? Maybe that's what justifies his frequent absences to class... "Mac? Mac Miller? Is that you?" Oh, I couldn't believe it. He was like betraying me; Zachary's man and I didn't even know. Of course, we're not at the same level since he's a few years older than me, but we hang out a few times last year and even kissed. It was a shock.

"Ari... Oh my god, what are you doing here?! It's not safe, return home right now-"

"Fuck you, Mac! I can't believe you never told me that you're part of these crimes! You knew since the start that Demi was a special agent and that she was against you, right?! That's why both of you never told me!" I let out a frustrated and angry groan and felt hot tears wetting my big brown eyes. "Remember when we talked last time and you consoled me after my fight with Demi? You were fooling me, right? You knew the truth, and you never ever let out a word about it! I can't believe you!" Oh, I liked him very much, and I never felt that much disappointment. That stupid supposedly innocent crush. "Now I understand! You once told me you were engaging yourself in an organization, but did you forget it was a criminal one?! You should've have accepted that deal!"