Chapter 8

"I'm going to interview Bea's family and friends right now! Good luck with your task, and I'm only saying this because I want this mission completed as soon as possible!"

"Like I care! Don't talk to me unless it's an emergency!" Joe groaned as he lazily lied on the hotel's couch.

I rolled impatiently my eyes and decided to leave him here. He wasn't under my responsibility and I was glad of it. My purse in my hand, I called a taxi to take me to San Francisco's Oak Street where dwelled the family of Beatrice Miller. I hesitated for a few seconds before ringing the doorbell.  A tall and blonde woman opened the door and observed me curiously with her red and swollen eyes.

"Hi, Mrs. Miller! Sorry to interrupt, but I'm an undercover cop; special agent Lovato," I presented myself with pride and confidence.

She raised an eyebrow, probably very curious about my visit, and invited me to enter her luxurious house. It was my first time interviewing someone since our team's missions usually involved a lot of direct action; sneaking into unknown buildings and trapping criminals. We never really investigated the location of a murderer.

"May I ask you some questions about your daughter, Mrs. Miller?" I politely asked as soon as we sat in front of two cups of tea.

"Yes, you may go ahead," the poor mom accepted with a sad smile. "I don't know anything about her kidnap, though."

"No problem, Mrs. Miller. Just tell me some basic information about Beatrice."

"She only celebrated her fifteenth birthday a month ago in February. She's half-Italian, half-American, and is a pretty outgoing girl. She's cordial with everyone, so I don't understand why anyone would want to cause her harm!" the mother whispered, tears lining up her eyes.

I felt bad for her; I really did. I thought about my parents and how hard it has been for me to get over their car crash. I blamed myself for the longest time since they were on their way to pick me up from Ariana's house. Fortunately, with Selena and Miley's help, I was able to let go of them.

"I'm sure she's also struggling to see you again soon," I encouraged her. "As a cop, I promise you to invest our best in this mission and save your daughter as soon as possible."

"Thank you!" the mother choked out. "I'm sorry I can't help you more, but you could try to contact Bea's best friend. She must know much more than me."

"Naturally," I responded trying to act professionally in front of a stranger. "That's all for now. Thank you and take care, Mrs. Miller."

Step one complete, I thought as I wrote in my notebook crime for no particular reason.

___

Joe heard Demi slam the door and groaned even louder. His mind debated whether staying in bed or not, but when he remembered Cole's threatening face, he jumped out of the couch, terrified. "The mission is more important," He stated in front of the mirror. "Even if I have to pretend to be a freaking waiter."

Twenty minutes later, he was already standing in front of The One-legged. It was an old-fashioned restaurant with antique treasures and vintage windows. The entree was odd but impressive, with a petrifying dark figure striking out of the welcoming door. It was embracing one of the old superstitions in which the ancestors of San Francisco's population believed in.

The One-legged, they would call it, is a unique legend telling the story of an unknown monster with only one leg. Joe made a face of disgust but reluctantly entered the repulsive structure. Of course, it was far from one of the USA's fast food restaurant, but more of the opposite. The waitresses were lined up like trained militaries, while the waiters observed the customers with hawk eyes.

"Who are you searching for?" growled an intimidating voice behind his back.

"I'm the new waiter," Joe nervously gulped, staring at the severe expression of the restaurant's owner.

"You are late of two minutes, mister Jonas. If something happens like this twice, just remember I won't be tolerant at all. I got my eyes on you!"

Joe frantically nodded, fearing the menacing owner despite the man's small height. He was already living a nightmare although the mission only began. The owner pointed to the back of the restaurant like a strict order that no one could disobey.

"My daughter Taylor will show you around and direct you. Follow her orders like a military, and don't forget I'll be watching every move of yours, or..." The terrifying man instantly broke the cup of water he was holding with only one hand. 

Joe shivered, nodded without any hesitation, and headed toward the back of the restaurant as fast as possible. He wanted to escape this monster who was even more fearful than the One-legged itself. He inwardly cursed his best friend for assigning him such a terrible task. 

When he was finally out of the man's eyesight, he let out heavy breaths, not realizing that he entered the kitchen.

"Abruti! Salaud! Il est interdit de rentrer ici, espèce de guenon!"

Alarmed, Joe jumped in shock and faced a big and frightening man who he deduced as the one snapping at him in an unknown language.

"Oui! Oui! I am French! Do you have a problem with it?" roared the chief cooker with uncontrollable anger. "Étranger! Va-t-en! Out! Out!"

Stunned, Joe immediately backed off at the sudden outburst. Why did Nick send him in such a hell? It seemed like everyone here is cold, menacing, and austere. He couldn't wait for the end of his laborious shift.

"C'est le nouveau serveur! (It's the new waiter!)" interrupted a melodious voice entering the kitchen. "Laisse-le à moi! (Leave him to me!)"

The most beautiful girl Joe has ever seen in his life turned towards him with a huge smile and shook his hand. "I'm Taylor," she introduced herself as Joe stared at her in awe. "You must be the new waiter, Joe Jonas!"

He nodded, still in trance, his eyes not leaving an instant the beautiful creature that appeared. Her features were delicate, feminine, and perfect. From her mesmerizing blue eyes to her long wavy hair. It was like love at first sight. Joe couldn't help but feel lifted off the ground like a teenage fool experiencing new feelings for the first time. 

"Let me show you around," the welcoming lady offered. "I'm sure you will love it."

It was like Joe forgot about his mission. All he wanted was now her.

-----

Nancy xox