Chapter 39

Nervous. That's what I felt; nervous.

"We'll be okay, baby. Breathe."

Joe cupped my face and tenderly kissed my lips to calm down my nerves. These two days passed way too quickly. Between discovering all of Miley's secrets and rearranging the plan which actually didn't change much, I didn't take time to myself and relax.

It was all too intense.

"One last push and we're done, okay?" I looked into Joe's eyes and smiled. He has been such a good boyfriend to me these last days, and it felt amazing. Even though he didn't tell me he loved me yet, I already knew I loved him.

"Today is the big day," Nick stated, playing with his fingers anxiously. "Do you all know your task like the palm of your hand?"

Mine wasn't difficult, but I sincerely hoped it would go as planned. There were so many ways that will make the situation go wrong, starting off with my task. Keeping an eye on Zachary and following him... Personally, I thought it was the most dangerous one. I will physically be the closest to our 'beloved' criminal.

"You're stressing again, Demi," Joe sighed, tightening his hand around mine. "Everything will go okay. I'm here- we're all here for each other if something goes unplanned."

"Joe is right," Nick quickly agreed. "We have each others' backs. If you have anything, absolutely anything to say during the action, just use your earpiece. Got it?"

Selena nodded, looking as excited as she usually is. Today's meeting was a normal one with only Nick, Selena, Joe, Miley and me. The last one for this mission too.

"You guys will succeed, I know it," half-smiled Miley, who didn't look as grumpy as she usually is. "I wish I could be with you because I wanna complete the mission too."

"No!" Sternly refused Nick, his eyes wide opened. "Don't even think about it, Miley, or I'll chain you to the bed." We looked at him in interrogation, and he rolled his eyes, annoyed. "Okay, I'm not that rude, but Miley has to rest correctly. It's the doctor's order, and I respect doctors."

"Or is it because you care too much about your girlfriend?" Teased Joe in a sing-song voice, making us burst out laughing and making Nick turn beet red. "And chain her to the bed... mmh I wonder what do you mean," joked my boyfriend with his smirk back on. Nick looked pissed for an instant as Miley coughed uncomfortably and threw me her dirty glare. I understood the message and made Joe shut up. Same old Joe... Even if he's a 'changed' man, he'll still throw dirty comments like that one.

"We have to go in five minutes," pointed out Selena, a little bored by the two couples around her. Justin was still at the hotel, waiting for her to complete the mission. She made him promise to not intervene if we didn't ask for his help.

Five last minutes before the final act. I stood up and made my way to Selena, hugging her tightly and whispering some encouraging words. Miley and I did a handshake since I didn't want to hurt her shoulder, and she wished me good luck. Nick and I hugged too, but I felt he was still thinking about the nasty comment Joe did earlier. Well then, it'll pass. He's such a shy and reserved man.

"Are you ready, babe?" Asked Joe, raising my chin and pecking my lips. "I swear I'll be by your side all the time even though we won't be at the same place. Everything will be fine, okay?" I looked at him hesitantly, knowing he only said that to reassure me. Nobody knows if it will genuinely go 'fine', but we can only hope.

"I know. Thank you... and if something happens-"

"Nothing will happen, Dem. We will complete the mission successfully, and I'm 100% sure of it. Don't forget... I-I like you so much, and we'll get through whatever happens."

It was supposed to comfort me. I was supposed to be happy while hearing his words, but I couldn't help but frown at the like he said. Didn't he love me? Maybe my mind was moving too fast, but I irrationally wanted him to say those words. I was craving for it, especially when I knew that the future was hazy. If something happens... I might never hear it again.

"What's wrong?" He queried, sensing I was suddenly slightly offended. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, but I think he noticed my distant smile. I just felt a little disappointed, nothing major... Plus, I will not humiliate myself by telling him my thoughts. He might feel something not even close to love, and I might be completely out of the line thinking that he would. I won't risk being rejected another time.

"Everything's alright," I lied. "Take care of yourself, Joe. And by the way, I like you too."

He seemed relieved and instantly took me in his arms. But my heart was suffering... He didn't love me. But that's okay, I guess. These things take time.

"Time's up!" Announced Miley, smiling at all of us and putting her thumbs up. "Good luck! And don't worry me too much!"

We laughed a little, took our stuff, made our last goodbyes, and parted ways.

Nick's POV

The Castle seemed so majestic from the outside. It looked like an imitation of the medieval times' castles; with stone walls, a wooden bridge, and several tours. The most impressing part of it was the inside. It was nothing like the royal residents' home, but more of a crossover between a labyrinth and a prison. All grey, all sinister, all melancholic. I felt bad for Selena and Joe, who will have to enter it and decode all the paths.

My tactic to fool the two guards was all planned on paper and memorized in my mind. It was a dangerous one, but the only solution I thought of. I wished nothing could go wrong because the mission depends on each one of us.

I flexed my muscles to look menacing and directly walked to them. They didn't even flinch; they glared at me like I was a stranger and crossed their swords together to form a shining X. "May I speak to your boss Jill Yellow, please? I need to discuss some important matters with him."

"Who are you?" Snapped the guard with a blonde ponytail. "My master doesn't speak with any kind of person, so if you claim to be his acquaintance and you're not, be scared for your life."

"I'm his new drug dealer, mister Kendrick Lamar, and I will like to deliver his command. You can take me to his drugs provisions' room, and I will put them right there."

I wasn't even lying; according to the extraordinarily precise investigation Cole did, all I said was purely accurate. The only thing conflicting my words was that Kendrick will come tomorrow instead of today, but it wasn't a big deal since I can pretend to be that drug dealer without any problem.

"Our boss..." The guard hesitated and looked at his colleague, a little confused. "Jill Yellow told us you will come tomorrow, mister Lamar. I believe you have mistaken the date."

I pretended to have a shocked expression with my awful acting skills, but it wasn't the right time to bash myself. "Oh, did he? I'm so sorry to bother you... I guess I will come back tomorrow, but since I already transported the drugs..." I threw a desperate glance to my car which sat right beside the entree. "Why can't I simply furnish you the drugs today? It will be quicker and won't make any difference."

The guards looked at each other quizzically before shrugging their shoulders at the same time. "Follow us, mister Lamar." They each took one pack of drugs, an I took another one. They accompanied me to the provisions room which was a dark and empty place on the underground floor and put the drugs in one of the corners. "Right here is perfect," one of them said. "Thank you for the delivery, mister Lamar. Our boss will pay you soon."

I didn't waste any time to run out of the room and double lock them inside. I heard the screams, but with a little bit of chance, the walls were completely soundproof. It once served to lock victims or criminals inside it. I then spoke through my earpiece to Selena and Joe, signaling them that the entree was non-protected.

Step One: completed.

Making my way back to the unwelcoming hall, I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. My task already ended; I only had to watch that no one enters the Castle expect our team.

The rest was up to the others.

______

I feel so sorry for the people who still read all this crap 😂

Nancy xox