Chapter 6

"Finally! I waited for you in front of this hotel for such a long time! We were supposed to meet ten minutes ago!" 

I rolled my eyes as I noticed Joe's frustrated expression. We spent a day in San Francisco, away from each other, but it was now time to get together again. The mission will officially start tomorrow. "I was just in the bathroom, geez!" I explained myself, stopping in front of the devil who has crossed his arms over his chest.

"Women..." He sighed. "Why didn't you hurry up? The receptionist is glaring at me since ten minutes! She even had the balls to tell me to leave if I don't want to rent a hotel room!"

"It's because you look homeless!" I retorted back at him. "What now? Cat cut your tongue?"

"Just follow me!" He growled, marching towards the frowning receptionist. "We want a hotel room for two weeks, please!"

The receptionist nodded, typed on her computer, and handed us two cards. "There are only rooms with one bed left, but I don't think it would be a problem for you."

What was that supposed to mean?! Does the whole world think that we're a couple?! I heard Joe curse in anger, so I dragged him out of the hall before he could jump on the poor girl. "Don't make a scene, even if I surprisingly understand you," I whispered into his ear. He didn't respond once again, and we soon stepped into our room for the next few days. I automatically threw my jacket on the only bed, not caring about my partner at all. 

"Not so fast, missy!" He said as he forcefully grabbed my arm. "Who said you could sleep on the bed and not on the couch?"

"Listen, jerk!" I turned toward him and bellowed with rage. "If we're living together, you'll have to behave, and since I'm the lady here, I choose!"

"This is not even feminism or anything... It's sexism!" He whined. "I just want this mission to be over! Seeing your face one time per day is affecting my mental health!"

I passed by him and we ignored each other for a few long minutes. I tried to look concentrated on the glamour magazine and he tried to do the same thing with his laptop, but I caught him glancing at me two-three times.

"You know, if you want to stare at me, there's no need to be shy," I smirked, interrupting the deadly and awkward silence.

"I was just wondering why you didn't flip one single page of this magazine yet." He smirked back, feeling victorious.

"I'm a slow-reader," I mumbled under my breath and furiously flipped the page. He can't win this argument; he just can't. 

"Don't try to fool me; this magazine is exclusively composed of pictures."

"How would you even know that?"I snapped at him. "Oh wait! You're Joe Jonas and you secretly admire these skinny models every night. Why am I not surprised?"

He chuckled before shaking his head, half-amused, half-serious. "Did you notice that I practically win every argument we have?"

"Excuse me?!" I snarled, completely outraged. "This is the biggest lie I've ever heard!"

"No need to be stubborn, Demetria. You know I'm always right."

Oh god, I just wanted to rearrange his pretty face and slap his ego out of him. I never met anyone as egotistical as him, not even close. "I wonder how your parents contain themselves from slapping you over and over again because that's what I wish to do."

"They love me... Just like you do." He smirked and winked at me while I felt highly disgusted with this pig. When the mission will be completed, Nick will surely receive a spank for making me work with him.

"Oh, I do? What about you?" I asked with challenge oozing out of my voice. "I bet you couldn't get a stable girlfriend just because you were thinking about me too much!"

"At least, I did have relationships before, unlike you." 

His sly smile blinded me with anger for a few instants and I haven't realized how I was approaching dangerously from his couch. Putting my hands on my hips, I continued our argument. "I prefer being single than being a player! I respect men."

"Oh, so you now consider yourself a woman?" He mocked me. "I bet you haven't even been kissed yet. What a shame."

"That's none of your damn business!" I exploded right in front of him, keeping our fight heated. He could sometimes, or shall I say all the time, piss me off to the point of losing my mind. It must be a gift since I'm normally a patient and understanding person, but I must admit that he knows how to push the wrong buttons.

"I was just messing with you," He explained in a softer voice. 

"New flash: I hate you!" I yelled, not caring about the neighbors. If they were even any.

"I hate you too! Wannabe cop!" He insulted where it hurts.

At this point, I just wanted to strangle him and throw him to the lions like people did way before today. I also didn't realize how close we were until now. Our bodies were practically touching but I couldn't back down.

"You have no idea how much I hate you", I whispered. The tension was palpable and even an inexistent bug could sense my irritation. I never lost my temper before, but fury was all I could feel each time he was nearby for some unknown reason.

Our lips were now a few centimeters apart but I couldn't care less. All I could see were those hypnotizing hazel eyes of his that made me feel all tingly inside.

"So much that you feel the urge to kiss me?" He whispered back.

I immediately jumped backward and scoffed like it was the dumbest statement ever said before. "Ew, I won't get that low!" I denied.

"Cool, because I have absolutely no interest in you."

"Neither do I! Just stay away!" I pleaded before throwing myself on the cozy bed to earn myself some sleep.

After half an hour, I still couldn't fall asleep. My thoughts were still totally directed towards him and I didn't know why. The truth is that I had no idea what just happened between us. We never fought that hard, and we never got so close to each other before... I don't even dare think of what could have happened if I didn't push myself out of that temporary trance. Thirty minutes later, I dared to glance at him to verify if he was genuinely asleep. 

"We need to practice your discretion or we'll get caught within a few days," he suddenly muttered in a sluggish voice.

"Stop stalking me and sleep."

"Oh, so now you care about my sleep?" He joked tiredly.

"No, of course not. I just wanted to get rid of you."

Silence soon fell upon us, and before we knew it, we both drifted into deep slumber.

-----

Nancy xox