Chapter 13

Miley woke up in terror, sweat rolling down her body. She sighed when she realized that it was another one of her frequent nightmares. She dreamt of her childhood when her alcoholic mom used to abuse and slave her.

When she was twelve, she used to only be slapped, but as time passed, it started to get more and more violent. She thought countless times about contacting the police but always ended up suffering. She didn't want her mom to be thrown in jail but simply get some help.

Miley wiped away her tears, not wanting to remember the darkest period of her life, especially when she reached sixteen. Her mom brought home a muscular boyfriend addicted to drugs, who used to punch and beat her up every day. One time, it went too far and she nearly died, but that day, she decided to run away and live on her own. Not long after, she met Selena who became her best friend and introduced her to the team. Half a year later, a depressed Demi joined them too.

People always looked up to her, saying that she's heartless and badass. She isn't. In her heart, she's still the ten-year-old girl who witnessed her own mother lose herself. She's still the broken girl who left the house with only fifty dollars and a small backpack.

Miley blocked all those painful memories and quit her hotel room for breakfast. It was her day off, and she wanted to enjoy it as much as she could.

As she entered the dining room, she immediately noticed the red-haired receptionist eating on one of the tables and rolled her eyes. But as she got closer, she noticed that the girl seemed surprisingly sad and lost in her thoughts. After a moment of hesitation, she decided to ask her if she was okay or not.

The receptionist, oblivious to Miley's thoughts, continued to stare at one single picture, tears forming in her eyes. Miley caught a glimpse of the picture and almost fell backward because of the shock. She then eyed the red-haired girl with new eyes, her mind doing some crazy links. Red hair, princess clothes, big eyes...

"It's you, the famous Ariana?!" She exclaimed out loud, earning a flabbergasted expression from the receptionist.

"How do you know my name?!" freaked out Ariana, feeling her heart beat like a drum.

"I recognized Demi on that picture you're looking at," Miley calmly responded. "I'm one of her best friends and she told me about you. "

"I'm her best friend too!" shrieked Ariana before realizing what she said. "I mean... ex-friend. We fought not long ago."

Miley nodded, knowing exactly what the issue was about. The same old problem...

"I bet you're the one who initiated her into the world of drugs and parties!" Ariana accused rudely while glancing down at the agent's tenebrous clothes.

Miley scoffed loudly, offended by those words. How could she even think that? According to Demi's description, Ariana is supposed to be a nice and light-hearted girl, not a mean one full of bad judgment.

"You know nothing about Demi! She isn't like that!" the special agent defended, protective.

"I know a lot more than you do. We have been best friends since kindergarten and even before!" Ariana revealed, secretly very hurt.

"I know," replied Miley almost quietly. "She told me a lot about you; a lot. All positive things, don't worry. She loves you."

"No, she doesn't!" the red-haired girl denied, nearly yelling. "She doesn't even care one bit about me! Look at you! Look at me! She's BFF with strangers and doesn't even tell me about it! Then, she mysteriously disappears at night and hides the reason; probably to hang out with some doubtful people like you!"

Miley felt her blood boil. That was Demi's best friend? "How could you even think about that?! You know that she'd never ditch you for parties and sleep around with suspicious guys! The only men she knows are Joe and Nick! If she didn't tell you this side of her life, it's maybe because she has a good reason!"

"Reason?!" Ariana screamed. "Good reason? Ok, she might have a good reason, what reason?! I don't see what else she would do if it isn't that! And who the hell are Joe and Nick?! Why didn't she tell me about them? Let me answer that for you; she's a compulsive and ungrateful liar." 

Ariana seemed stricken by a wave of sadness when she said those words. All she could feel was pain, heavy pain all around her body. Betrayal.

Taking deep breaths, she took the picture and pulled it against her heart. "She means the world to me," she whispered softly while Miley closed her eyes to avoid her tears. "Demi is like a sister to me. When her parents died, I felt as much pain as her. I loved Mr. and Mrs. Lovato dearly, but what pained me the most was to see Demi fall into depression. I tried so hard so that she could move on; so freaking hard. Am I not good enough? Why would she chose a stranger over me?"

"It's not that," affirmed Miley since she couldn't contain herself. "It's a misunderstanding. She can't tell you some of her secrets."

"Why?" continued the poor girl with insistence. "I need to know. I deserve to know."

Miley thought about it for a minute, analyzing the situation carefully. Could she really tell Ariana? Is this girl really trustworthy? And their security... If she tells her and something happens to them, Demi would be so mad!

"I deserve to know. I can't continue like that! This is the subject of all our fights, and if it doesn't stop, I would lose Demi forever!" Ariana started panicking, her breath accelerating and her hands moving up and down. 

The special agent didn't waste time to envelop her in a hug while whispering soothing words. The receptionist was right; the lies were around for too long. Plus, if Demi chose Ariana as her best friend, that meant she trusts her. And if Demi trusts her, then Miley trusts her too.

"Sit down, it's a pretty long story."

God, she only hoped to not regret it later.

_____

Nancy xox