Chapter 42

Joe's POV

Something bad, really bad happened. I could feel it in my bones. Selena still didn't update me about the others and I hoped they completed their tasks without any problem.

"If you hear about Demi, tell me right away," I pleaded in my earpiece. "I know it's not the best moment to ask news about the others, but I just want to make sure she isn't harmed. I feel sick in my stomach just thinking that anything could happen if she gets too close to that monster... I feel like she's not going fine. Update me, Selena."

I was such a fool, this morning, and I felt terrible about it. I should've told Demi that I loved her since it's the raw truth, but I chickened out in the last second. I knew she wanted me to say it; I could see it in her eyes even if she tried to disguise it.

The heart never lies.

"Selena?" I called, my suspicions raising as a tsunami. Only a deep silence and some muffled sounds greeted me as my face became white as snow. "Selena?! Answer me, I beg you!"

No answer. Oh no. It couldn't be happening. She was gone and I was stuck in front of a blank wall. What to do? Desperate and quickly losing my mind, I tried to contact Nick from every possible way. Then Demi. Still no answer. I officially lost my marbles.

"Where are you?!" I wailed, hot tears inundating my flushed face. It was worse than any nightmare I could think of. I knew I should've trusted my weird presentiment, but as always, my logical mind erased all my doubts. "What are you doing, guys?! I need help!"

Nothing moved. Nothing changed. I was still stuck. And I couldn't retrieve back until I found Beatrice.

In distress, I galloped back to the place I was before Selena's last command and took the opposite hallway. I had no idea if I was following the correct path, but at this point, I was already so lost in the Castle that there was absolutely no point of return. The entree was too far away, and even if I tried to head back there, I wouldn't be able to with all the complicated labyrinths.

Panting heavily and glimpsing at the door's numbers, I continued to wander around and try to find the right room. I only confused myself even more, noticing that the number weren't consecutive as it should be. Room 56... Room 73... Room 119... Room 3. What the heck were those illogical numbers? I felt like I was in the middle of a mystery movie where I should decode the clues that the murderer has left. Not understanding the concept of the enigma or whatever it was, I slid down the wall and started crying like I never cried before.

Demi was in danger and I knew it. I wanted to save her, but I couldn't; I couldn't even save myself at this point.

Suddenly, I heard a small noise which appalled me in a flash. Someone moved. Alarmed, I spontaneously stopped, feeling paranoia circulating down my veins. My five senses sharpened as I opened big my ears. "Is there someone?" I asked, hopeful. "I'm right here."

I heard a girl's weak voice gasp.

It had to be her. Jumping on my feet, I barged into the room where the sound came from and saw her, Beatrice, lying on the ground. She seemed destroyed, consumed, absolutely empty. She was as beautiful as she looked like in the pictures, but her eyes didn't contain the joy of living anymore. It's like she has lost all trace of hope, and didn't even wish to be saved anymore.

 It's like she has lost all trace of hope, and didn't even wish to be saved anymore