Chapter 35

Selena flickered her eyes right and left, witnessing the police cars circling them and her teammates running towards them. She then looked at Justin, trying to figure out what he was thinking, but only found him with a puzzled stare. He was, for the least, utterly confused about the whole situation. Almost terrified, but that was something he'd never admit.

"I'm so glad you're alright!" Miley chirped once of caught a glimpse of her friend. "Move aside, I need to talk to her."

Nick internally rolled his eyes at Miley's behavior; she wasn't a girl scared of what others might think, quite the opposite. They should be scared of her.

"Watch your tone, miss!" barked a fierce-looking cop. "Look at your clothes, all black and shiny! I knew that you are all freaking gangsters!"

Miley furrowed her eyebrows, impressed by the officer's boldness. It wasn't the first time that people have mistaken her for a gangster, but it was the first time coming from a police officer. She was about to reply a snide remark and spill some tea, but Nick quickly shushed her, knowing her extravagant comments.

"May I excuse her?" Intervened the leader of the team. "She has a smart mouth and I'm sorry about it, but could you please let us say a few words to our friend right there? We have some updates for her."

The officer flexed his muscles, accentuating his imposing and flamboyant posture, before putting his strong arms on his hips.

"I'm afraid not. Your friend right here committed a crime that should be taken seriously. She murdered those three burglars, and it wasn't considered as self-defense. We will have to arrest her, and the trial will make the verdict."

Justin shuddered, freaking out at the thought of it. He wanted to defend his ex-girlfriend but didn't know a lot of things about her true identity. Was she a gangster?

"Your ID, please," ordered the same cop with a sly smile. "It's a shame for a beautiful and young lady like you. But look at the bright side; we'll see each other more often."

Justin stiffened at the officer's smirk and quickly wrapped his arm around Selena's neck, marking his territory. The latter, disgusted by the failed attempt of flirt, handed her ID with a grimace.

"Oh!" the cop exclaimed in surprise or horror. "I deeply apologize for our misunderstanding, special agent Gomez. We didn't know you were undercover. I am very much sorry to have offended you in any way possible. You are absolutely a hundred percent free. Good luck with your mission, and thank you for catching us these criminals. I believe they are Zac Efron's men?"

"Indeed," responded Selena professionally. "This is why we got rid of them. We'll catch the researched criminal within a week, thank you."

The officer put his thumbs up, now looking impressed, before waltzing away, praying that he wouldn't be reported.

"A... An undercover cop?" Stuttered Justin helplessly. "You...?"

"What do you mean, me? By the way, I prefer the term special agent," she corrected, fearing for his reaction.

Justin sat straight in the car, breathing heavily and trying to absorb every information. Was she on a mission? To catch a supposedly international criminal? All this time?

"You were lying all week," he grunted grumpily. "And it was worse than I thought."

Nick and Miley looked at each other, before silently eloping from the scene to leave the ex-couple alone.

"It was for your safety," Selena insisted desperately. "If I told you everything, you'd be in severe dan-"

"So you preferred lying?" Justin exploded, trying to contain his anger. "I was just a mission for you, admit it! You fooled me two times, congratulations... Special Agent Gomez."